Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

SS M40 Helmet ET64

Article about: Hey Guys, This is my first post at this forum, I have been interested in wwII in general and waffen SS in particular since I was a little boy, but only recently started to purchase militaria

Default SS M40 Helmet ET64

Hey Guys,

This is my first post at this forum, I have been interested in wwII in general and waffen SS in particular since I was a little boy, but only recently started to purchase militaria, so im kind of newbie in regards to helmets.

My latest acquisition was bought at an auction (not online auction), and is as far as I can see an SS single decal M40 stamped ET64/4991. Its supposed to be genuine, however Im not sure if its real or fake.

So it would be very helpful if some of the more experienced helmet guys on this site would comment and give feedback.

My photographing skills are not that great, but I hope the pictures are useful.

SS M40 Helmet ET64SS M40 Helmet ET64SS M40 Helmet ET64IMG_2798.jpg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS M40 Helmet ET64   SS M40 Helmet ET64  

SS M40 Helmet ET64   SS M40 Helmet ET64  

SS M40 Helmet ET64  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M40 Helmet ET64
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS M40 Helmet ET64

Hi & welcome aboard!

Based on the pics you have provided it appears to be a once ground dug up helmet. I'm not sure if the liner system & strap are true to the helmet either. As far as the decal its hard to determine its authenticity based on the photos you have provided. For a more positive evaluation of the decal I highly recommend some close up & clear shots, thanks for sharing.

Samir

I think Samir is right about it being a ground dug. From what I can tell, it is a ground dug helmet that has been repainted, given a reproduction decal, and refitted post war. You will be able to see better then us, so look closely to see if the pitting and holes on the shell are painted over. That would confirm the repaint. I have my doubts about the chinstrap, maybe it is a reproduction. Smell the strap and notice if it has an aged smell to it. The liner looks alright, although it is about 2 sizes too small for the liner band and helmet. That is usually a sign that it has been added post war. As for the draw string, it is not original, but you can easily find a replacement if you wish to.

Regards,

Corey

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    I think Samir is right about it being a ground dug. From what I can tell, it is a ground dug helmet that has been repainted, given a reproduction decal, and refitted post war. You will be able to see better then us, so look closely to see if the pitting and holes on the shell are painted over. That would confirm the repaint. I have my doubts about the chinstrap, maybe it is a reproduction. Smell the strap and notice if it has an aged smell to it. The liner looks alright, although it is about 2 sizes too small for the liner band and helmet. That is usually a sign that it has been added post war. As for the draw string, it is not original, but you can easily find a replacement if you wish to.

Regards,

Corey
    Hey Samir and Corey,

thanks for the feedback. To me this helmet looks in a too good condition for being ground dug (bodenfund), or at least it can't have been underground for very long, but then again I am quite new in this game and here to learn.

I've tried to look for the pitting and holes, they all look darker than the rest of the helmet, however all holes and pitting have the same dark colour, so Im actually a bit unsure if it was repainted or not. I've tried to take some close up photos, I hope it helps

I actually didnt notice about the liner being to small for the liner band, now that you've pointed it out its obvious and something I should have noticed myself straight away.

About the chin strap, I've tried to smell on it and it doesn't smell right, (unlike the liner with smells right) however I found a number on the backside of the strap, you can see on the photos.

I also tried to take more close up photos of the decal, to me it looks like there are suspisciously few holes and pitting in this area compared to the rest of the helmet, but take a look please.

SS M40 Helmet ET64SS M40 Helmet ET64SS M40 Helmet ET64SS M40 Helmet ET64SS M40 Helmet ET64SS M40 Helmet ET64

rgds

Mads

?

Not a fanof the decal at all or the strap and looks relinered.

The decal looks like it is applied over the pitting.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks again for the feedback. I've learned my lesson.

How are chances to get rid of the applied paint and back in genuine condition?

Or ist the helmet no better than to throw at a garage sale or local flea market?

rgds

Mads