MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS M40 Q two tone camo single decal

Article about: Doug- What a nice helmet. It is certainly something to be proud of. Believe it or not, back in the 1960's, the "Q" decal was considered by many to collectors to be a fake. Back in

?

Default SS M40 Q two tone camo single decal

Here is an SS helmet I picked up earlier this year. It is a single decal Q66 M40 with a classic Q decal above alternating lightly sprayed stripes of brick red and grass green camouflage. It appears that some brick red overspray has been rubbed off of the decal shortly after application leaving paint remnants behind ontop of the Q runic decal. The helmet is lotnr 31422, marked but not dated chinstrap, and the steel linerband is stiff but lightly struck and the date is very hard to make out even on the obverse side, perhaps 1940. It is very tight. The helmet is published in SS Helmets by Hicks/Beaver on ppg 150, top. An added bonus, the initials M.F. is printed in ink inside the liner on one of the tongues.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M40 Q two tone camo single decal
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS M40 Q two tone camo single decal

Q runic decal pic. The decal has some damage but it is the exact kind of damage I like, where the damage blends into the runic print itself and from a distance is hard to tell that there is any damage at all. Gives it that classic combat look that so many collectors like to see.

Note the close-ups of the decal in particular the left and right corners of the shield where paint remnants can be seen on the decal itself still. The bottom half of the decal has had paint applied overtop and then wiped almost clean.

?

The requisite liner shots, using 2 flash settings. Also the initiials under the liner.

?

The contrast between the two camouflage colors.

Hope you enjoyed!
    Cheers

Doug
    Last edited by DougB; 06-15-2009 at 02:52 AM. Reason: forgot to add pics!

Nice, at first i thought the decal was a fake due to the Right one being bigger but I now see that it is a scrape, and makes it appear bigger to the eye.

And lets face it You of all people would have noticed a fake before me XD

The Liner w/ the initials is a neat bonus!
    thanks for sharing!

Hi Doug,

What is this number on the SS decal, below the runes? It appears to start GS---. Only visible on this one frame as far as i can see.
    Immeadiatley below the second rune, you may have to enlarge to see it.
    Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS M40 Q two tone camo single decal  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Doug,

What is this number on the SS decal, below the runes? It appears to start GS---. Only visible on this one frame as far as i can see.
    Immeadiatley below the second rune, you may have to enlarge to see it.
    Regards, Ned.
    Ned that is not a number but my personal watermark I use when showing closeups of SS decals. Note it is not there on the closeup shots of the lower half of the decal.

My name on other fora is SSTk and that is a skull with SSTk across the forehead.
    Cheers
    Doug

?

That is definitly a keeper to be proud of.

Very nice helmet Doug , cheers Raymond

?

Hey Raymond and Steve, thanks!

BTW this is the watermark I use most of the times on decal closeups for those that don't know me from GHW.

So if you think you are seeing a skull on a decal (been asked that before since I joined up here), you are but it is not part of the decal, just a "theft prevention" watermark commonly used amongst collectors, only being slightly artistic I use a pic vs just my forum name.

Cheers
    Doug

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast