Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)

Article about: Here's an interesting SS M40 from my SS collection that I picked up from Dave Shirlin. Some of you might be familiar with this helmet as it came out Bryan's (Foamspoon) collection. Its an SS

?

Brian, lets not forget that the maker SE in general produced the least helmets, so you rarely see SE in any branch, let alone SS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)
    P
    Many

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Brian with all due respect, any dealer written COA is worthless as they have inherent and critical conflicts of interest as said dealers and do not financially indemnify the collector they have charged for that piece of paper with their opinion written on it.

And I beg to disagree, most advanced collectors I speak with believe as do I the M45 is nothing more than a random M42 factory defect and not a purpose built ventless helmet. Wouldn't it be more like you say above; "surely more would exist"?

In any case unless there is critical new information I do not wish to reopen the debate on M"45" helmets but I respectfully disagree, there is no proof they existed and a COA by Ken N doesn't magically make them so as if by royal decree.
    Doug, I agree that COA's are dodgy. I acquired mine from Ken N. simply to make a point. The WAF would not accept that it existed, but since they respect Ken opinion, his COA forced them to accept it the helmet. I just wanted to prove a point. And I did.

Most reasonable (and I say reasonable) collectors can easily see that my ventless helmet is authentic upon examination of some clear photos.

?

Quote by Brian View Post
    My 'facts' are the over 12,000 observed examples that reveal certain patterns of production. Where are the numerous examples of SE SS helmets interspersed with Heer, Luftwaffe, Field Police, M35/M40/M42 helmets in the lists as are seen with ET/Quist/ EF M42 helmets? Have the SS helmet collectors/authors ever asked themselves that question? Or is it because since they appear original then it is assumed that they must be so?
    I don't recall talking about SE SS helmets with you Brian. And you've had 12,000 helmets in hand? I didn't think so. Keep on topic.

?

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Brian, lets not forget that the maker SE in general produced the least helmets, so you rarely see SE in any branch, let alone SS.
    I believe SE was the second largest producer, starting production in September 1935. Fewer observed examples of SE/hkp helmets in the collecting world today may simply be due to the factory's location closer to the Eastern Front, which soaked up approx. 85% of German forces.

Quote by Brian View Post
    Doug, I agree that COA's are dodgy. I acquired mine from Ken N. simply to make a point. The WAF would not accept that it existed, but since they respect Ken opinion, his COA forced them to accept it the helmet. I just wanted to prove a point. And I did.

Most reasonable (and I say reasonable) collectors can easily see that my ventless helmet is authentic upon examination of some clear photos.
    I would highly doubt that the WAF as a community would keel over and stay silent after seeing a COA since most collectors visit multiple forums.
    And a lot of those frown upon COA's.

?

I'm leaning towards "C". If the die would break, it would most likely break on the left side of the die as most of the force is would be applied there making it less likely for the right side of the stamping die to break, if that makes any sense of course.

?

Quote by Brian View Post

WAF accepts your helmet as original??????? The ENTIRE forum? Seriously. Ken N isn't God. COAs are toilet paper. WAF as a whole has accepted your helmet only on the basis because Ken raised his right hand and said "make it so, and there shall be an M45 ventless A and B designation". No wonder there's so many idiots on WAF.

Give the WAF COA Ken N thing a break please as it's unadulterated horseshit.

Most reasonable collectors I speak with think its factory error.

?

Quote by Brian View Post
    I believe SE was the second largest producer, starting production in September 1935. Fewer observed examples of SE/hkp helmets in the collecting world today may simply be due to the factory's location closer to the Eastern Front, which soaked up approx. 85% of German forces.
    OK, second, my mistake Brian, but nonetheless still producing very little helmets.

?

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Now we are talking about M45's? Hell with that! My chicken is burning! Catch u guys later!
    LOL that's a rapid exit Samir. Anyway Brian we agree to disagree on some things and an in person conversation is needed. I bristle at talk of forum domination by personalities and their COAs. I hate hearing it. Lets keep this on track, M45s can be another topic. This is about Samir's lot number, C or O. Pardon me for the bristling retorts, there is some blanket statements being made and deflection that get under my skin.

Doug
    Last edited by DougB; 09-01-2013 at 11:40 PM.

If I may, since this is a discussion, and to keep it from turning into a "debate" among a few members, I would like to put forth my thoughts. Looking at the lot number, I believe the first character is a, "C" I saved and highlighted two marks which I believe provide some evidence that it is a, "C" more than a broken die stamp. On the first character, the ends of the distinctive curve are very sharp, sudden ends, and are evenly spaced. I suspect a broken die stamp would have uneven ends to the curve and not so uniformly and evenly spaced. Furthermore, there is a faint line from one end of the curve to the other, either top to bottom or bottom to top, whichever way you choose to look at it. If you look at the next character, the, "4," there is a line of similar thickness and depth as that on the first character, but shorter due to the shorter distance between the points it is connecting, it is not as noticable. I think the third character is a, "0" (zero) lightly struck, due to where the heavy stamped lines end. I do not see any signs of a lighter, thinner line on the, "7" like there is on the, "C" and "4." To conclude, that's my "forensic examination," so to speak, of why I believe it is a, "C"

SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast