Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)

Article about: Here's an interesting SS M40 from my SS collection that I picked up from Dave Shirlin. Some of you might be familiar with this helmet as it came out Bryan's (Foamspoon) collection. Its an SS

?

Todd, just in case you didn't see the twin, here the photo if it's any help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)
    P
    Many

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Todd, just in case you didn't see the twin, here the photo if it's any help.
    I forgot about the twin! Whoopsie. Better put my forensics thinking cap back on. I shall return with further analysis

OK, I'm back!
    I stick with my original theory. SSamir's initial helmet has a first character of, "C"
    On the twin, the same evidence is visible. The ends of the curve are sudden, clean and evenly spaced, as they are on the first helmet. The thin line connecting the top and bottom ends of the curve is the same thin, lightly indented line. The, "4" on the twin shows the same thin line, but the digit has been struck somewhat harder than it was on the first helmet, so the the thickness of the digit reduced the space between the two points that the line connects, thus making the thin line less noticeable, but it's still there. The third and fourth characters, the "0" and the "7" look the same, with the exception of the "0" being struck a little lighter and only about half of the digit is clearly visible. There appears to be almost no difference between the characters of the first or second "twin" helmet.

And, I wanted to add to my first theory posted above, the "C" on the first helmet, SSamir's helmet, I think is not level and a little canted backwards, giving the appearance of the end of the top of the curve being further back and the end of the bottom of the curve being further up and forward, giving it the appearance of maybe being a "0" The die was not struck level with the other characters.

Remember, it's all theory, so don't burn me at the stake, or in SSamir's case the chicken, if you don't agree

SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Remember, it's all theory, so don't burn me at the stake, or in SSamir's case the chicken, if you don't agree
    LOL!

Todd, I bet you both helmets were struck with the same stamping die.

I truly believe they were, SSamir. The similarities point to that distinct possibility. I just dont think the evidence is there to show the first character was a broken die.

?

For me, it's a C. Look at the O. The argument "because where are the others" is rather meaningless to me. Here we have 2 of them. Both SS. And what does the number refer to? The raw rolled sheet metal they used to stamp the helmet with a reference to the manufacturer of the steel. If a simple reference number is what is thought and is used today for rolled sheet steel so it could be any prefix. They could use any prefix they wanted. I have to go with a C with these from what I see. Is it a broken die? I doubt it. Where are the "C408, C409, etc". Could be a one off.
    Last edited by DougB; 09-02-2013 at 05:11 AM.

?

Hoorah, I got something right about an SS helmet that almost everyone agrees with,albeit only the lot number, I feel quite proud at this moment,but I know it won't last for long, so I'm bragging

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Hoorah, I got something right about an SS helmet that almost everyone agrees with,albeit only the lot number, I feel quite proud at this moment,but I know it won't last for long, so I'm bragging
    Yup, and at Samir's expense, it only cost 8 pages of thread, two debates on champagne decals, an M45 helmet and a whole f**king chicken.

Quote by ssamir View Post
    yup, and at samir's expense, it only cost 8 pages of thread, two debates on champagne decals, an m45 helmet and a whole f**king chicken.
    roflmao!!

What's a champagne decal? Just kiddin

Sometimes I raise turkeys for thanksgiving. I didn't this year but maybe next year. I know its not a chicken but ill save one for ya Samir
    I think you should mail Brian your burnt chicken.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    roflmao!!

What's a champagne decal? Just kiddin

Sometimes I raise turkeys for thanksgiving. I didn't this year but maybe next year. I know its not a chicken but ill save one for ya Samir
    I think you should mail Brian your burnt chicken.
    Todd, thanks! I will hold you to that. =)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast