Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)

Article about: Here's an interesting SS M40 from my SS collection that I picked up from Dave Shirlin. Some of you might be familiar with this helmet as it came out Bryan's (Foamspoon) collection. Its an SS

?

Guys, I soft deleted most non lot number discussions. This went from lot numbers to SE helmets to M45s to champagne decals to turkeys then chickens. Nothing personal and to those who may think I am trying to stifle discussion the posts "deleted" (including some of my own) are merely "hidden" and can be recalled. I do not see any point however in these side discussions and what they have to do with the topic.

Feel free to start a new discussion in a new thread about SE SS helmets, M45s, champagne decals, turkeys, hot dogs, and burnt chickens, or any other dinner choices of Samir's at your leisure, thank you.

Doug

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)
    P
    Many

?

Now that we have two "C407", I will be keeping my eyes peeled open, and if I see anymore, I will provide an update.

Samir

Hi Samir,
    Pardon my late entry into the thread--great helmet! I am familiar with this piece and I love Q's. I'm going to say the decal is actually the 'Narrow Q', just likely printed with a slight offset registry. If you guys have a copy of "SS-Steel Updated Edition" you can refer to the section on decal variations to see the actual difference in the Narrow and Fat Q decal varieties. When I get a chance to get back into my archives I will post pictures that I have which show the difference. Great helmet from Esslingen am Neckar.. Kelly

PS: until I get my archive photos, here is a link to an example of a Fat Q decal, on the double decal M-35 that is my April 2008 Feature Helmet. KH

SS_Steel_feature

Looks amazing, thanks for sharing

?

Quote by Kelly H View Post
    Hi Samir,
    Pardon my late entry into the thread--great helmet! I am familiar with this piece and I love Q's. I'm going to say the decal is actually the 'Narrow Q', just likely printed with a slight offset registry. If you guys have a copy of "SS-Steel Updated Edition" you can refer to the section on decal variations to see the actual difference in the Narrow and Fat Q decal varieties. When I get a chance to get back into my archives I will post pictures that I have which show the difference. Great helmet from Esslingen am Neckar.. Kelly

PS: until I get my archive photos, here is a link to an example of a Fat Q decal, on the double decal M-35 that is my April 2008 Feature Helmet. KH

SS_Steel_feature
    I stand corrected. I guess I was thrown off by the way it was printed, thanks Kelly.

Quote by SSamir View Post
    I stand corrected. I guess I was thrown off by the way it was printed, thanks Kelly.
    That happens to me sometimes too!

?

Hi Kelly,

Now that i'm home viewing this on my pc I can see what your saying. You have to have really good eyes to note the difference in the shields, and now I see it, barely if I may say so. Very tricky on this one. The other, and more noticeable giveaway is in the runes which do have the traits of the narrow type. Would love to hear Doug's thought as well.

Regards
    Samir

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Hi Kelly,

Now that i'm home viewing this on my pc I can see what your saying. You have to have really good eyes to note the difference in the shields, and now I see it, barely if I may say so. Very tricky on this one. The other, and more noticeable giveaway is in the runes which do have the traits of the narrow type. Would love to hear Doug's thought as well.

Regards
    Samir
    Hi Samir,
    here are pictures of two examples of the wide Q, compared with the narrow Q. There are basic differences in the contours of the runes on each pattern that are 'absolute' on originals. Among these are more uniform and pointy runes on the wide style, vs slightly asymmetrical runes on the narrow (Top two are wide style; bottom two are narrow. Swastika is thrown in for lustre :-) ). Thanks, Kelly

Ok, I am going to replace the offending fish eye photos and insert a different one of a Narrow pattern Quist. I hope everyone can get the point I am making, which is the important part. Thanks, KH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)   SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)  

SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)   SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)  

SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)   SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)  

Last edited by Kelly H; 09-21-2013 at 01:49 PM.

?

Kelly, correct me if I wrong, but the one in the middle is the narrow type? At least thats the narrow type I'm familiar with.

?

It can be tricky sometimes identifying which is which as sometimes you may get sort of a fisheye effect from the shot taken.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast