Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS M40 SD Helmet with Waffen SS DOT Pattern Camouflage

Article about: Ty. Your trying to sell yourself on this. Understandable. We all like to think we found a great piece. I would recommend you send the pics to Brian Bell at germanhelmets.com He only deals wi

Default SS M40 SD with DOT Pattern Camouflage, IS THIS AUTHENTIC???

Just purchased this Unique single decal SS helmet with an unusual style camouflage. It looks like a Waffen SS type DOT pattern seen on SS camouflage fabrics.

Anyone see anything like this before? It has a 1st pattern style decal, do you think its legit? Please let me know what you think! I have not received the helmet yet, but I will upload more pictures when I do. I have a brief inspection period so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS M40 SD Helmet with Waffen SS DOT Pattern Camouflage   SS M40 SD Helmet with Waffen SS DOT Pattern Camouflage  

SS M40 SD Helmet with Waffen SS DOT Pattern Camouflage   SS M40 SD Helmet with Waffen SS DOT Pattern Camouflage  

SS M40 SD Helmet with Waffen SS DOT Pattern Camouflage   SS M40 SD Helmet with Waffen SS DOT Pattern Camouflage  

Last edited by tymclaren; 03-23-2010 at 01:12 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M40 SD Helmet with Waffen SS DOT Pattern Camouflage
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS M40 SD Helmet with Waffen SS DOT Pattern Camouflage

A little history info on this... It's said to be purchased from a retired WWII Russian Col., I purchased it from a collector in Latvia. Anyone think this was a good find or a good fake? Let me know!

Might be original helmet, but paint job appears airbrushed. Look at fogged over decal. Chinstrap also appears fake but would need to see buckle more. Latvia is notorious for these reworked helmets. Better safe than sorry.

I'm sorry but it's

what the name of that Latvian colector or dealer.as i,m Latvian i can ask to some friend more info about seller.

Quote by ostlanddigger View Post
    what the name of that Latvian colector or dealer.as i,m Latvian i can ask to some friend more info about seller.
    GunBroker ID: WW1945. He has sold a few pricey items so far on GunBroker with all positive feedbacks left for those items.

Waffenbruder, There is no airbrushing over the decal, I believe its surface rust.

?

Surface rust does not adhere to a decal like that, it appears under the decal and gives a stippling effect.

Dave,

I agree. It looks like surface rust under the decal. I do not have it yet, so I cannot be sure of that.

I finally remembered where I have seen this camouflage scheme before. It was on majorplm's website, a period photograph of the 12th SS in Normandie wearing helmets with the same scheme. I believe the major owned an example of a helmet with this scheme.

I've been studying and studying 1st pattern Runic shields online and comparing this example to originals. Either it is infact an original, or it is the best fake to date. The geometry seems to be exact, and the background shows good metallic content. I will have to further inspect upon receiving this.

?

Well im no expert on SS items , but i have repainted quite a few helmets for displays for friends etc and not for resale, the paint scheme on this one is slightly worrying me, where the rust pitting holes are there is paint inside them ,there shouldnt be as this would have rusted out, i really do hope youve got a good one as i expect this wont be cheap, good luck

Quote by davejb View Post
    Well im no expert on SS items , but i have repainted quite a few helmets for displays for friends etc and not for resale, the paint scheme on this one is slightly worrying me, where the rust pitting holes are there is paint inside them ,there shouldnt be as this would have rusted out, i really do hope youve got a good one as i expect this wont be cheap, good luck
    Dave,

I am not seeing paint inside or on top of surface rust or pitting holes. I see a bit of surface rust over the paint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast