Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS M40 single decal...

Article about: How real is this SS helmet? Kris.

?

Default SS M40 single decal...

SS M40 single decal...SS M40 single decal...SS M40 single decal...SS M40 single decal...SS M40 single decal...SS M40 single decal...SS M40 single decal...SS M40 single decal...

How real is this SS helmet?

Kris.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M40 single decal...
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS M40 single decal...

For starters, I don't like the liner. A liner for a Size 66 helmet should only have 8 fingers.
    Last edited by roger9344; 02-15-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: correct grammar

?

The decal shot is too far away however for sure it is postwar applied as this is a rear stamped Q M40, meaning well past the point of when SS runic decals were applied. This decal - if real - also is not one I would be comfortable with on a Q shell of any kind except a reissue.

If memory serves me correct this was posted on another forum not long ago, perhaps with better photos I cant remember, and I wasn't too fond of the decal then or now or the liner. Strap certainly appears bad.

This is one that should be avoided at all costs.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    The decal shot is too far away however for sure it is postwar applied as this is a rear stamped Q M40, meaning well past the point of when SS runic decals were applied. This decal - if real - also is not one I would be comfortable with on a Q shell of any kind except a reissue.

If memory serves me correct this was posted on another forum not long ago, perhaps with better photos I cant remember, and I wasn't too fond of the decal then or now or the liner. Strap certainly appears bad.

This is one that should be avoided at all costs.
    Actually it has been shown twice if I recall on the same forum and as I said then I don't like it myself. Like you said it is a rear stamped "Q", way after they dropped the decals. I myself say its a post war applied "Q" pattern decal.

regards
    Samir

?

Hi Samir sorry it's not a Q decal, it looks like a fake NS decal (champagne decal). A Q is a "first pattern" runic style along with Pocher and EF SS decals, while NS/SE and ET are "second pattern" runic style to quote old collector terminology.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Hi Samir sorry it's not a Q decal, it looks like a fake NS decal (champagne decal). A Q is a "first pattern" runic style along with Pocher and EF SS decals, while NS/SE and ET are "second pattern" runic style to quote old collector terminology.
    You stand correct, Doug and good eyes! I just noticed the runes are different! I can't believe I overlooked that.

regards
    Samir