Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS M42 helmet

Article about: G'day all, This is my first crack at this so we'll see how it goes. I would like some opions on this shell i recently purchased in the U.k, I've owned, bought,sold and handled a few helmets

Default Re: SS M42 helmet

Looks good from the pics but its a hard one, one best answered once you have it in hand. Any pitting under the decal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M42 helmet
    P
    Many

?

A ckl will have an ET decal on it or some cases NS style, not this pattern which looks like an EF knock off. Very rarely seen a Pocher. Clearer closer in focus photos are needed but from what's been shown I would express serious doubts simply from well established decal to shell relationships. It also looks to be applied over the pitting. Doesn't come close to relics I even remotely trust in terms of how an SS decal ages underground.

Sorry to give a dissenting opinion but it's what I see.

Cheers
    Doug

Looks like the worn spots on the decal are only present on "the outer layer" but the decal is still present inside down in the rust pitting....I would think that it should be the other way around, SS decal applied on top of pitted ground dug helmet and then artificially aged?

Quote by DougB View Post
    A ckl will have an ET decal on it or some cases NS style, not this pattern which looks like an EF knock off. Very rarely seen a Pocher. Clearer closer in focus photos are needed but from what's been shown I would express serious doubts simply from well established decal to shell relationships. It also looks to be applied over the pitting. Doesn't come close to relics I even remotely trust in terms of how an SS decal ages underground.

Sorry to give a dissenting opinion but it's what I see.

Cheers
    Doug
    I agree Doug , this one is not good in my opinion. Only EF would have the so called first pattern runes but the construction and border of this decal is all wrong.

Thanks Doug, You certainly sound like you know your stuff. I couldn't disagree with you, but thats why i asked. I was very skeptical myself but i bought it anyway, and i dont know if the helmet has ever been underground and as for M42s not haveing decals i've read a few times that it wasn;t uncommon for the owners to apply there own insignia wich could always be a possibility, thanks to all for your comments, and would anyone care to tell me what it might be worth?

Cheers Phill.

?

Oh they had decals, but you must understand the decal maker to shell maker relationship. The maker of shell you have did not use the maker of decal the runic decal appears to be (EF decals only ever appear on EF shells, without exception). And yes SS soldiers sometimes field or depot applied decals but after 1942 it is very very rare and almost without exception in a reverse or double runic application and always in those cases using Pocher decals. NS decals seem to replace Pochers as SD application for reissue use in 41 or 42 as well.

That all said this decal certainly appears to be a modern repro applied on a relic shell. As to value it would be minimal I would think, I don't collect relics so I'm the wrong person to ask.

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    as for M42s not haveing decals i've read a few times that it wasn;t uncommon for the owners to apply there own insignia wich could always be a possibility, thanks to all for your comments, and would anyone care to tell me what it might be worth?

Cheers Phill.
    If it's a CKL stamped shell with lotnr 3109 it should carry the factory ET decal , so the soldier added theory doesn't come into the picture.

Fair enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2