Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SS Police Helmet up for auction-Real?

Article about: Hello Everyone, Local auction house has this helmet up for sale in January. I only have this picture from the catalog, which describes it so - Helmet - SS - Polizei - Division. I'm unsure if

?

Default SS Police Helmet up for auction-Real?

Hello Everyone,
    Local auction house has this helmet up for sale in January. I only have this picture from the catalog, which describes it so - Helmet - SS - Polizei - Division. I'm unsure if its original, what puts me off (I don't much about helmets) are a couple of things, I thought all SS helmets were black (this one is dark green) and the small clusters of air breather holes - were they only in feuerwehr helmets?
    If you ask the auction house personnel - is it real, they answer its been looked at - so thats a guarantee - no, no auction house gives a guarantee. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    Best Wishes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Police Helmet up for auction-Real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Police Helmet up for auction-Real?
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Police Helmet up for auction-Real?

This is a civil helmet not a combat helmet.

A person who buys a helmet these days based on this one lousy picture is either brave or incredibly stupid.

?

Hello Schwerpunkt,
    Thanks for your posting, I shall certainly be going into the auction house to have a look at the different pieces of militaria & helmet on offer. In the online catalog some items are clearly described as copies, the helmet isn't.The real problem is, if you live hundreds, thousands of miles away, there's no chance of physically visiting the show rooms, your keen on buying a particular object, prospective buyers rely on the expertise and integrity of the auction house to vet everything. Here with somethings being marked up as copies, it creates the impression everything has been looked at - they have not. I suspect with a lot of general, second string, auction houses, they don't have the in-house, in-depth experts on tap and just pass on,what the seller tells them, right or wrong.
    Regards

Quote by AlecH View Post
    Hello Schwerpunkt,
    Thanks for your posting, I shall certainly be going into the auction house to have a look at the different pieces of militaria & helmet on offer. In the online catalog some items are clearly described as copies, the helmet isn't.The real problem is, if you live hundreds, thousands of miles away, there's no chance of physically visiting the show rooms, your keen on buying a particular object, prospective buyers rely on the expertise and integrity of the auction house to vet everything. Here with somethings being marked up as copies, it creates the impression everything has been looked at - they have not. I suspect with a lot of general, second string, auction houses, they don't have the in-house, in-depth experts on tap and just pass on,what the seller tells them, right or wrong.
    Regards
    If you really want to buy an original TR era helmet buy it online and aks opinions on the forum first.
    Auction houses are the worst places to buy and often even a lot more expensive then dealers.