Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SS Relic

Article about: Thanks for the comments guys! I would never even think about messing with this helmet. I'm just happy I have a relic one in my collection now!

Default Re: SS Relic

Quote by Danmark View Post
    H'mm ..... is it me who is the "guy who has a lot to learn"? ...... and while I thought I "was in my right mind" ...( & that may well be debatable ) ....however I HAVE used oxalic acid to good effect on my relics. For the untrained in it's use, a reckless dunk in an incorrectly prepared solution or overnight soak will surely end in tears.
    ANY preservation ( note I said preservation NOT restoration ) MUST be done carefully, sympathetically, with a full knowledge of the mediums being used and the outcomes expected ...... it is NOT a 'lucky dip'.

If you choose to try oxalic acid it MUST be low percentage and monitored closely..... I soak helmets for 15 minutes only and then remove, flush with water and a toothbrush, inspect for revealed paint and decal and when they appear ....STOP!!

I hope this advice is neither rash nor unlearned ..........
    Dan
    I don't think it was intended for you mate.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Relic
    P
    Many

Sorry all,
    A shi**y day at work brightened only by a new helmet arriving in the post.
    I should have a drink or two BEFORE I settle down to engage on this great forum.
    .....Calming down as we "speak"
    Dan

?

Glenn is right. However you will never be able to stop the corrosion on a relic, unless you strip it down to bare metal and coat it. Even the smallest spot of rust will start to grow under a layer of paint or lacquer. All one can do is slow down the corrosion.

Regards, Lars

?

Sorry all,
    A shi**y day at work brightened only by a new helmet arriving in the post.
    I should have a drink or two BEFORE I settle down to engage on this great forum.
    .....Calming down as we "speak"
    Dan
    Wasn't aimed at you mate !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Cool Re: SS Relic

Several shots of Baileys later, some warm new socks ( ta Krad ) and all's well with the world ............. until Monday rolls around again!!!
    Cheers all!
    Dan

Several shots of Baileys later, some warm new socks ( ta Krad ) and all's well with the world ............. until Monday rolls around again!!!
    Cheers all!
    Dan
    HA! I forgot about that Glad you like them pal

Nice comfy sole on them eh? I have a few pairs from work. 'Brand new socks' feeling is one of the best things, I'm a simple man.

?

Are you in the warm socks trade Krad?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Are you in the warm socks trade Krad?
    I suppose I am yeah, we sell them at work. I threw the socks in as a sweetener in a helmet sale to Dan

Anytime you need something to combat the chilly winds of the steppe let me know

Yeah, well it was "buy my helmet & I'll throw in some socks" ........ hey, it's Winter down here, would I say no?
    ( it was either that or a set of steak knives ...... )

H'mm ..... is it me who is the "guy who has a lot to learn"? ...... and while I thought I "was in my right mind" ...( & that may well be debatable ) ....however I HAVE used oxalic acid to good effect on my relics. For the untrained in it's use, a reckless dunk in an incorrectly prepared solution or overnight soak will surely end in tears.
    ANY preservation ( note I said preservation NOT restoration ) MUST be done carefully, sympathetically, with a full knowledge of the mediums being used and the outcomes expected ...... it is NOT a 'lucky dip'.

If you choose to try oxalic acid it MUST be low percentage and monitored closely..... I soak helmets for 15 minutes only and then remove, flush with water and a toothbrush, inspect for revealed paint and decal and when they appear ....STOP!!

I hope this advice is neither rash nor unlearned ..........
    Dan
    Not you buddy. You know about relics. I just don't wanna see anyone ruin a good relic. I've learned a lot from you guys and want to see others learn as well. Nothing good comes from ruining a perfectly rusty relic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3