Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SS Runes decal on camo M35

Article about: This is a closeup of the decal on an M35 helmet I own, comment invited, thank you.

?

Default re: SS Runes decal on camo M35

Quote by reichss View Post
    Well guys I can only say that this M35 which I will post more photos of now has a 100% checkable provenance and is the real deal. So what does one make of everyone so far saying the runes decal is a repro. Maybe it's just that the decal looks to good to be true, but it is. So going on the comments I guess the opinion is the camo must be fake as well, wrong, it's the real deal period applied Normandy camo colors.
    Sorry, I know my SS decals, yours is a fake, it doesn't matter how many threads you start on the helmet. The camo is also fake, you are correct. Be careful defending this one, you need to take the blinders off and the earplugs out and listen. Or your in for a whole world of fakes in your collection.

Please explain the "checkable provenance". I hope it's more than the dealer told you or some uncle who brought it back from the war.

Thanks
    Doug

PS, it's an M40, not an M35.
    Last edited by DougB; 10-09-2011 at 05:40 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Is it possible that the outline of the decal in in fact the original paint where the decal has been masked off to apply the Camo?

I too would like to hear about this '100% provenance'.........!

Judging from Doug's own extensive SS helmet collection - which can be viewed here on the
    forum - his valuable knowledge regarding them, and the respect he has gained among
    collectors, I'm more inclined to side with him about the reality of this lid, but even
    with my 'untrained' eye, I can see problems with it. I think you were taken
    and will not buck-up and admit it. Perhaps not with this helmet alone.

I'm sorry, I know it is a hard thing to accept, that a lot of your hard earned cash may
    have gone to waste. There are some unscrupulous dealers out there who could
    give a rats ass about provenance or originality - the dollar is the bottom line
    for them and they don't care who gets screwed, as long as they come
    out on top. We've all been there at some point, getting
    stuck or fooled with bogus items.

As the saying goes - and we say it often:

Buy the item, not the story.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Mark Twain said: "Denial ain't just a river in Egypt."

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Quote by reichss View Post
    Well guys I can only say that this M35 which I will post more photos of now has a 100% checkable provenance and is the real deal. So what does one make of everyone so far saying the runes decal is a repro. Maybe it's just that the decal looks to good to be true, but it is. So going on the comments I guess the opinion is the camo must be fake as well, wrong, it's the real deal period applied Normandy camo colors.
    Mate you invited comments on this decal , presumably if you were 100 % sure of it there woulkd be no need to ask for opnions ? Unfortunately just because the decal is in seemingly very good condition doesn't make it too good to be true at all. I'm sure we are all looking forward to further pictures of this lid and details of the provenance but the starting point for it is that the decal is a modern fake,

I really hope you haven't paid out large sums of cash for the helmets you have posted,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12