Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS runes and Nazi party shield painted on M16 helmet: real??

Article about: Greetings, I recently acquired this M16 German helmet from a collector who mostly deals in daggers. He told me up front that he was not an expert on helmets, but has had this in his collecti

Default SS runes and Nazi party shield painted on M16 helmet: real??

Greetings,

I recently acquired this M16 German helmet from a collector who mostly deals in daggers. He told me up front that he was not an expert on helmets, but has had this in his collection for quite some time.

Any expert opinions would be appreciated. I’ve read that the early Allgemeine SS helmets did have painted runes and party shields. I included a picture of the inside of the helmet. It’s hard to make out model, possibly EF type?

Thanks in advance,
    Thomas
    SS runes and Nazi party shield painted on M16 helmet: real??SS runes and Nazi party shield painted on M16 helmet: real??SS runes and Nazi party shield painted on M16 helmet: real??SS runes and Nazi party shield painted on M16 helmet: real??SS runes and Nazi party shield painted on M16 helmet: real??SS runes and Nazi party shield painted on M16 helmet: real??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS runes and Nazi party shield painted on M16 helmet: real??
    P
    Many

The black paint appears to be artificially aged. Like it was rubbed purposely to reveal the underlying coat of green. I also don't like the way the inside dome is painted black. Normally it's interior paint is black up to the liner band only. All just my opinion of course.

By the way...a helmet such as this most times has some sort of provenance associated with it. An "LAH" documented helmet of this type would probably set one back about $25K. Or more

I will defer to others with more knowledge but will say the painted marking inside the helmet is surely bogus nonsense. To my knowledge, A German would not use 1st to depict First. Rather with such a marking one would expect (1.) and not st. NH

For what I was told, the owner (vet I’m guessing) wrote that on the inside of the rim.

I also found this like to a real SS helmet similar to this one. It also has the entire inside painted black, not just up to the liner.

The Collector's Guild

Quote by athomas View Post
    I also found this like to a real SS helmet similar to this one. It also has the entire inside painted black, not just up to the liner.

The Collector's Guild
    Yes.. Collectors Guild, it is all black. Kelly has a couple painted all black inside & out, & a few with the inner dome either Austrian brown or feldgrau on his site.
    Maybe you can search & find another example with a wartime steel liner band ?? The fact that painted SS insignia stopped in 1935 or so replaced by actual decals, how could there be a period installed 1940 or later liner band ? Something is off....

What is the date of the liner band ?

Well it looks like the liner band has not been removed? Or at least the split rivit washers are all in place. Would it be a good ideal to remove the band to get a look at the inside of the band and check the date?

...The liner band date is on the swaz side of the helmet. Just pull it back some by the chinstrap bale & you might be able to read it. But again...wartime liners were in great demand. Alg. SS helmets were NOT a priority. I would think unless this was a true LAH helmet, it would have been painted over in feldgrau & issued to the Wehrmacht or maybe police.

Ok, so I tried to pull back the liner and can’t read the date Or anything? Any advice? Still not sure if I should pull it apart just to read the date?

You could if you really wanted to. The liner appears to be stripped of all pins, springs, bands... all internal components which leads me to believe someone had it out & stripped it. That's what it looks like anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast