Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ss sd m42?

Article about: Hello, gentlemen. This is the first post in which I am showing an item of my own. I am hesitant however. I am rather new to this thing but have read enough to know that this may be an item o

Default Ss sd m42?

Ss sd m42?Ss sd m42?Ss sd m42?Ss sd m42?

Hello, gentlemen. This is the first post in which I am showing an item of my own. I am hesitant however. I am rather new to this thing but have read enough to know that this may be an item of intense debate. I believe this to be either an ET decal or an example of what is referred to as the Champaign runes. I have looked at this under magnification of varying power and can say that it most certainly exhibits the metallic pulver. I will also say that there is strong evidence that this is in fact a water slide decal. I will let you comment on the pictures I have posted as I am very curious of your opinions. I would have included more and will do so in the near future but as of now I am struggling to even get pictures posted as I am dealing with the mobile site. Sometimes it displays the classic site and allows me to access the proper tool bar. Sometimes it does not. In any event, the helmet is in my possession and has been for quite some time. I did not pay through the nose so I am not as pressured into fighting for it's authenticity. I am very interested in the debate that seems to bring quite a few of the members here to disagreement. Again, I may be looking at an ET decal that has acquired the noted patina and not the Champaign runes and would explain why I see evidence of it being a transfer. Whatever your opinions, please be mindful that I am only after your impressions of THIS helmet. I do not mean to instigate another mud slinging session. Thanks, guys!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ss sd m42?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ss sd m42?
    P
    Many

I was hoping to add a shot of the only number stamped in the rear of the shell but I ran into the mobile site again. The number is lightly stamped and reads "2539".

Can you post a few straight on properly oriented shots of the decal? Is the shell an ET? I will say from the outset I am always a bit skeptical when I see the type of rust on the outer shell and rust on the liner band that is on this piece - we see this with helmets sourced from Latvia that have been acid aged. The hits to the decal are also a bit too uniform, and matching wear is not seen on the remainder of the shell. Not saying this one is good or bad, we just need MUCH BETTER pictures to evaluate it. Jim G.

Crooking my arthritic neck as far as I care to I don't think that the runes are the so called Champagne runes, but the bottom does look a little too rounded for an ET shield. Better pictures are definitely needed. Jim G.

Collector11
    ?

looks like a round bottom fake to me

Hi beerguy, welcome to the forum.
    The champagne runes debate certainly does seem to cause some arguments and not just on this site as I expect you have already read.
    It would be really great to see a close up of the decal as sharp focused as you can get.
    The markings are somewhat unusual, seem to be on the decal and nowhere else. And the rust marks look a little new.
    Thanks for posting and I look forward to hearing everyone's views.
    Nick

Paint & decal are bad from 20' away. Looks like an HKP shell. More pictures are not necessary.

Quote by kaibos11 View Post
    looks like a round bottom fake to me
    YOU GOT THAT RIGHT !!

David

What about the decal makes it so obvious? I find it interesting that you referred to it as a decal...

Quote by Beerguy View Post
    What about the decal makes it so obvious? I find it interesting that you referred to it as a decal...
    You have a few chips that show peeling/lifting. Paint would not do that where it is damaged. Damaged paint would not lift. There is a chip top dead center between the runes. One can observe the peeling, lifting typical of decal damage of a post war decal. Added to that, it appears to be an HKP helmet, they did not produce SS helmets. Is it an HKP ? I think so

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast