Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

SS Steel Helmet - Original or Fake?

Article about: Hi to all., I need you help with this helmet. If the helmet it's all original or fake, and what kind model of helmet it is? And if the SS decals are original or not. Best Regards., Von River

Default SS Steel Helmet - Original or Fake?

Hi to all.,

I am interested in buying this helmet, but I need your help with it.
    If the helmet it's all original or fake, and what kind model of helmet it is?
    And if the SS decals are original or not.

Best Regards.,

Von River

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Steel Helmet - Original or Fake?
    P
    Many

I’m not exactly good with SS helmets but this one seems like a complete fake decal looks like it was water applied. Liner looks like it was aged with shoe polish and chinstrap from what little I can see by the chin bales looks brand new. And to be honest to me I’m not sold on the shell being original it just seems to have a weird shape to it maybe it’s just the way I’m looking at it but that is just my opinion of coarse wait for others.

is the photo reversed out ?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    is the photo reversed out ?

Hi Larry.

no, actually that supposed to be the "mirrored SS" decal (as you can guess an unicorn a super rare typology that no one really knows the origin and the reason why, only some speculations so far) applied on few WW1 austrian shells light brown painted.

Andrea

Complete junk. This helmet is good only for playing "war game" or for reeenactment.

Paint, decal, liner and strap (as already observed) have nothing to do with any real TR german manufacture.
    only the shell seems to be original, but further photos would clearify.

anyway not a collector's value piece

A

I also wondered if the photos were reversed, despite previous mirrored SS runes.
    The first thing i noticed was the fake liner and strap that has been artificially aged. In addition the lack of wear/patina around the band and if you look closely the paint doesn't look original. But Andrea has already confirmed all of this

Did they indicate the helmet make out of interest?

nick

Here is one of the few authentic mirror runic decals, on one of the Austrian shells that Andrea mentioned. Another is on Billy Shea's site. (Andrea, the two Austrian helmets with these decals of which I am aware are light green, this one and Billy's, which was once owned by Al Barrows and later by Doug B. before he left the community.) There is photographic evidence of Mirror Runic decals on combat helmets - Baer included a picture of a Dutch SS Volunteer whose name escapes me, wearing what I recall to be an M40 with a mirrored rune on the left side of the shell. I am not aware of any surviving combat shells with mirror runes however, and in my opinion the decal on the helmet that started the thread is not period. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Steel Helmet - Original or Fake?   SS Steel Helmet - Original or Fake?  

SS Steel Helmet - Original or Fake?   SS Steel Helmet - Original or Fake?  

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Here is one of the few authentic mirror runic decals, on one of the Austrian shells that Andrea mentioned. Another is on Billy Shea's site. (Andrea, the two Austrian helmets with these decals of which I am aware are light green, this one and Billy's, which was once owned by Al Barrows and later by Doug B. before he left the community.) There is photographic evidence of Mirror Runic decals on combat helmets - Baer included a picture of a Dutch SS Volunteer whose name escapes me, wearing what I recall to be an M40 with a mirrored rune on the left side of the shell. I am not aware of any surviving combat shells with mirror runes however, and in my opinion the decal on the helmet that started the thread is not period. Jim G.
    Hey Jim.
    i was waiting for your post, in fact. ;-)

From what I understand the helmet is far from an original one.
    I only ask if at least the 659 or 699 marked on the helmet is from an original Shell?

Quote by VonRiver View Post
    From what I understand the helmet is far from an original one.
    I only ask if at least the 659 or 699 marked on the helmet is from an original Shell?
    The shell looks original so far but a close ups of the lot nr and maker would be helpful.