Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Waffen SS first model helmet cover

Article about: I bought this in 1977 from a dealer I am certain the material is real possibly from a old shelter quarter. That was the days before so much of the reanactor junk. Clips have a spring devise

Default Waffen SS first model helmet cover

I bought this in 1977 from a dealer I am certain the material is real possibly from a old shelter quarter. That was the days before so much of the reanactor junk. Clips have a spring devise sewn inside the fabrick above the clips that is a long slender tube and is flexible to allow the clips to attach to helmet rim. They are only noticible on the fall side. I don't know good dispaly cover after 36 years. timothy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen SS first model helmet cover   Waffen SS first model helmet cover  

Waffen SS first model helmet cover   Waffen SS first model helmet cover  

Waffen SS first model helmet cover  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen SS first model helmet cover
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Waffen SS first model helmet cover

This one looks like a repro to me the metal clips just have no age to them this is just my opinion

Quote by gel65 View Post
    This one looks like a repro to me the metal clips just have no age to them this is just my opinion
    As I stated in opening post made from original Wss material newness of the clips has nothing to do with a repo it is in the stitching and construction of the clips you can go over to German Helment Wallahalla where there is a whole thread on them and you will see plenty of new looking ones. This one has been checked years ago and experts stated material original some wern't sure about the clips I am sure it is a original material cover from the mid 70's converted from draw string to clips. timothy

I don't know if original or post war but i would like to know what these numbers that are slightly visible on the fabric's cammouflage.. This one shows the number '6' on the 2nd picture... I've seen many other with various numbers... Any info?

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    I don't know if original or post war but i would like to know what these numbers that are slightly visible on the fabric's cammouflage.. This one shows the number '6' on the 2nd picture... I've seen many other with various numbers... Any info?
    The numbers are for joining Zeltbahns together at the corresponding pattern combination

Yes Rene that is right most all original covers have this printed on the early ones plane tree some will have a 2 or 3 printed on the clip strip to indicate size of helmt the cover will fit. This one doesn't have a size printed on it. Just the shelter quarter line up number. timothy

they have been cutting up Zeltbahns from the very early 70s to make camo equipment.

Yes that is correct There was a flood of these so called "Original covers" made from shelter quarters in the mid 70 Companies like unique imports sold them but they or most of them had draw strings. Sometime later on some got smart and put clips on them some of the clips are original not too many years ago you could buy original clips. I have even seen a smock made from Plane tree, Oak, and Blurred Edge from this same shelter quarter material. One I have never seen is the Palm tree called due to the fact all references say they didn't make Quarters out of them. So I have always suspected this is one of them. George Petersen looked at it years ago at a gun show and said that was what it was. He had at one time the largest Luftwaffe collection in the world and ran National Capital Historical Sales with warehouses of mostly Original items. timothy

I put the picture for kind of a reference to one of them. But after 36 years it is a good display item and in these day and age they still make them like this from original material but let me tell you they aren't cheap a lot cheaper than a real one though! Thanks for all your comments. That is why I stay away from SS. tiimothy