Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What decal is this?

Article about: Oh man! I can't tell at all what decal was applied there.

?

Default What decal is this?

Hi, I recently bought this M35 helmet from a guy who was given it by a Normandy farmer, and was sold to me pretty cheaply simply as a shell. It hasn't arrived yet but I was just looking at the pictures I have of it and wondering "would the Germany shield really have gone white?" and I started to wildly speculate that it looked a little like an SS single decal. I know it's almost certainly not but I thought it safer to enquire here and crush my hopes before they're allowed to grow and blossom.

Any help appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Robbie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What decal is this?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: What decal is this?

Please post a closeup of the decal with no blur or glare and also what is the maker stamp and lot number?

?

I'm sorry, the helmet isn't actually here yet - it should be arriving tomorrow or the next day and then I can post some much better pictures of the decal. I'm attaching the only picture I have of the interior but to be honest it's pretty useless, the seller said he couldn't see any stamps or anything inside. I might be able to see something when it's here though.

Robbie

?

Helmet's here - maker stamp is Q62 and the lot number is 744, I believe. The decal really does tell me nothing, I'm afraid, nor does the other one. I'm guessing at this stage it probably was just a DD M35 Heer.

Robbie

?

YEah its impossible to say with any certainly if it was Heer or SS at this point, I ran the lot number up against my SS helmet database and there is no match there either but its in an SS range of lot numbers.
    Lost to history now I am afraid!

I don't know if its just me seeing things, however on the first image you posted of what would have have either been an SS or Tri-colour decal, it appears that the section that would have been white if it were a Tri-colour is lighter than the parts above and below it.

Thanks

Danny

?

I do see what you mean, actually - the top right corner doesn't show it but the diagonal centre does look a little brighter. As Doug said, though, it's pretty much lost now what it used to be. It's not like I'm going to stick it on a plinth and call it an SS helmet, it's just a DD M35 and that's all I'll ever know :/

Robbie

A little bit of mystery is never harmful

Thanks

Danny

Is a Q SS decal the exact same dimensions as a Tri shield? And you can get at least horizontal dimension from the other decal for comparison to party and heer/km decals.... she may have secrets to uncover yet.

If I stare at the national shield photo long enough the center diagonal does look brighter as Danny observed. I'd being going with the DD Heer theory which is nothing to be sniffed at. Cool pickup!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast