Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Winter helmet Named SS - Roster help?

Article about: Gents, Picked up this helmet from the estate of a 101st veteran who had his unis, medals, and German souvenirs available. Soooo, I took a calculated risk on it being authentic as all of his

Default Winter helmet Named SS - Roster help?

Gents,
    Picked up this helmet from the estate of a 101st veteran who had his unis, medals, and German souvenirs available. Soooo, I took a calculated risk on it being authentic as all of his U.S. veteran gear was there in good condition while the german stuff was kept in a shed outback for years.
    I was wondering if there is any rosters of the 17th SS Grenadier Division as it seems he may have picked up J. Lusius gear along the way.

Thanks in advance for any inputs, advice and information!

Semper Fi,
    Bob
    OKINAWARELICS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Winter helmet Named SS - Roster help?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Winter helmet Named SS - Roster help?

Stunning find, man! That is def a great thing to have a name and regt. Marked item and winter camo too! I'm so jealous .
    Dean.

--updated--

Never mind! After looking close at the things the other guys pointed out, I take my comment back!

I'm certain I have seen this before. 17th SS Gr Rgt should be 17th SS Grenadier Division(not Regiment) Götz von Berlichingen, at least as far as I am aware.

It looks like it was painted without liner pins too. Sorry it wouldn't be for me, and if I am right in that I have seen it before he told you a tall tale. I will search for it.

Looks like a rusty lid painted over in white and named in a "sexy" way...

M-35 Snow Camo Helmet Shell - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Here maybe, but I was sure it was a lot earlier than that.

?

I hope it's real for your sake. If your story is right, you have a good chance. But , the members here are very experienced helmet collectors so I'd listen to them. Maybe DougB will chime in here.
    Dean.

-UPDATED-

After reading the link to the other forum, I'd have to agree with the others, unfortunately.
    Too many red flags...the light orange rust...painted under liner pins..poorly named, soldiers had a lot of time on their hands and all the real named ones I've seen are done with greater attention to detail an typically in gothic font IMO.

?

Sorry, not buying into this one.
    Regards,
    John

I'm not keen on this one. The name etc looks painted over the rust.

?

The personalization is incorrect as has been pointed out, and is anglicized. Winter paint is post war and aged, the list of red flags is long with this one.

If it looks too good to be true it probably is, just the fact that the two biggest faked items in helmets are winter camo and SS makes this one highly doubtful.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast