Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 More fakes to toy with.

Article about: I was offered these the other day and I have been taking all your advice and studying them carefully. Looking at the genuine photos of skulls from this forum and from the books I have. I, as

Red face 2 More fakes to toy with.

I was offered these the other day and I have been taking all your advice and studying them carefully. Looking at the genuine photos of skulls from this forum and from the books I have. I, as a novice on this subject, have come to the conclusion that these are fake. Have I been listening to you all, and made the right analysis on these skulls, do I get any 'Brownie Points'.

Seller recons these are 100% but unfinished and ready for the fixing blades to attached.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 More fakes to toy with.   2 More fakes to toy with.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2 More fakes to toy with.
    P
    Many

Hi Steve, these are cast fakes.

Brownie points issued.

Points to note:

Material used.

Pins which have broken off the original and still there as part of the castings.

Edges of the skull, as seen from the back, have very inconsistent widths to the thickness of the metal.

Silver finish all over.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

All hail our Adrian!

I hate stinker skulls, that's for sure.

as a rule, too, the cupal badges often have a bright finish, at least in those Deschler items I have seen. I have seen some....

Steve originally emailed me these photos since he was having trouble uploading them to the forum, and I helped him post them so that others could see a few examples of some common reproductions. These skulls are often referred to as "mustache" fakes, due to the long vertical lines in the maxilla, the region between the teeth and the nose hole. Another important characteristic to note is the positioning of the number "5" in the "52" found on the backside of these skulls. You can see that the "5" is slightly lower than the "2." The second skull makes this harder to see, but I'm fairly certain it's there, too. The skulls have been "aged" in an attempt to hide the inconsistencies that denote these as fakes. These points, coupled with the other aspects that the experts have mentioned here, make these items rather easily recognizable as fakes/reproductions.

Here are two more pictures of a third skull that Steve sent to me. This one has been packaged so that the buyer cannot see that the skull is a fake. An identical fake can be seen in this thread (Unissued Totenkopf in packet- Deschler RZM M1/52. Genuine?). You can see that the skull inside the package, although supposedly "new," has no prongs, as described previously.

Steve, I'm glad you decided to post these items for review before you purchased them. It likely saved you a lot of money. If you continue to study the examples on this forum and learn from those who have spent many long hours scrutinizing these pieces, you'll reach the point where you're able to spot the fakes rather easily.

2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.2 More fakes to toy with.Non stinker cap badges.

2 More fakes to toy with.an item of sublime stink and an affront to collective sanity.

If you look at FB's cap collection and don't get even a little jealous, there may be something wrong with you...

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    2 More fakes to toy with.an item of sublime stink and an affront to collective sanity.
    like this.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post

like this.
    Yes, we should all note that the Germans did not outsource their "unifrom" work to China!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast