Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

another one

Article about: original SS cap skulls are more anatomically correct than the reproductions and as such are more sinister................. I wouldn't like to meet him on a dark night. peer into the eye sock

Default Re: another one

I'm not Mr Bwanek or Mr Hritz, not even Norwegian, however, the S.P.4 0 was, to my knowledge, only made of Aluminum or Zinc.
    Your spec. looks to be made of alu. Here are two photos of a Zinc skull, I used to own.
    Attached Images Attached Images another one  another one 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement another one
    P
    Many

Mea culpa for fueling issues in the Nordic lands. It is just that on the other fora, there have been more of these mysterious badges posted from Norway than say from elsewhere.

Best regards to our Swedish friend.

unsettling set of dentures ! not wanting to appear too much of a numb nut , given the decent quality of the piece and the number , 40 , equating to the year ? , when things were not on the slide, is it not logical to assume that SP are manufacturers initials. just a thought

the previous owner a RAF Transport Command officer was stationed, amongst other places , at Gardermoen at the end of the war. there again he was also all over Europe

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Mea culpa for fueling issues in the Nordic lands. It is just that on the other fora, there have been more of these mysterious badges posted from Norway than say from elsewhere.

Best regards to our Swedish friend.
    No offence taken F-B.

?

First one is defintely alluminium. The front side has been "polished" probably from all the little fingers that have fondled it over the years! To my shame, I don't recal off the top of my head the manufacturer, and being banished from WAF, I can't search the data that was posted there. Let's hope Brad tunes into this thread again.

Hi Ben, "SP" is an unknown maker at present. Possibly linked to Overhoff???

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    First one is defintely alluminium. The front side has been "polished" probably from all the little fingers that have fondled it over the years! To my shame, I don't recal off the top of my head the manufacturer, and being banished from WAF, I can't search the data that was posted there. Let's hope Brad tunes into this thread again.
    I do not mean to swerve off into extraneous things, but why are you banned from the WAF? In any case, you are most welcome here and I hold you in high esteem.

I think the P in SP might have something to do with the town of Pforzheim in Swabia, which was famous for its regalia makers as was Ludenscheid in the Rhein/Ruhr.

But the above is a guess.

In the Clyde Davis book is the list of all the M1/xx makers, for which M1/40 is another maker altogether.

What matters is the piece is authentic. The other thing, I am sure, is that we do not know nearly enough about these odd little things to satisfy the collectors' interest of today.

M1 40 was C Meinel and W Scholer, Klingenthal.

There were also a Schickle, Pforzheim, as well...but...?

and a Schenkel, Pforzheim, too.

and a Schmidhauesler, Pforzheim, also....

These arcane details from CR Davis' book of 1975....

I have to think that the people who made these things would have a wry smile on their faces if they were around now knowing that people were in a kerfuffle over a couple of letters and numbers !

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast