Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Argh zinc pest on my tk. Please help

Article about: Unfortunately Zinc pest is irreversible and no matter what you do , eventually the piece will deteriorate to a point that it will crumble away, however there are a few things you can do to s

Default Argh zinc pest on my tk. Please help

Hey fellas, I got my tk a month ago. I cleaned it up because it had some zinc pest on there. I cleaned it using warm soapy water with a brush. I also chiseled away spots of zinc. I then covered it with renwax and stored it in my riker display case and placed it nowhere near my other medals. A month later I took it out to see it and to my horror I see new spots of zinc in areas that weren't there after I cleaned it. Is it possible for zinc to spread under the wax????? Or, are these spots just wax residue from the renwax since it is pitted? Can anyone help?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Argh zinc pest on my tk. Please help
    P
    Many

Default Re: Argh zinc pest on my tk. Please help

You need to remove the RenWax, possibly with acetone, then give it a vaseline treatment.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I concur with Ralph. Coat with vasoline and let sit overnight. This has really helped mine out!!

Sam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argh zinc pest on my tk. Please help  

Should I clean it again?? Will acidtone be safe to remove the renwax? How come vaseline is better? I thought renwax was supposed to be the best coating. Can anyone confirm this?

I was told no water on zinc! I cleaned mine with semi chrome polish using q tips, wiped clean with a t shirt, let sit for a day. Then I applied the vasoline heavy with q tip and let sit for 24 hours, then remove with t shirt. I was given this formula by another collector.....it worked well for my TK.

Sam

?

For whatever reasons vaseline is a proven method of arresting the ravages of zinc pest. I don't know how you chipped the zinc pest off but I wouldn't advocate any form of chipping as this raises the potential to damage the item further.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

If there is any finish left on this TK, I don't believe acetone will hurt it. It is a bit like alcohol, no water, evaporates very quickly. Just to make sure there is no renwax left on it as that would prohibit the vaseline from doing it's job.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Well, there's a little finish on some areas, but not too much. Ill try acetone. Hopefully it won't hurt it. Can anyone else confirm if acetone is OK or not. Just want some votes. Thanks guys!

Quote by rusted180 View Post
    Well, there's a little finish on some areas, but not too much. Ill try acetone. Hopefully it won't hurt it. Can anyone else confirm if acetone is OK or not. Just want some votes. Thanks guys!
    I would say that if you wipe the whole thing down with a Q-tip with acetone, not too much, you should be okay. Then take a Q-tip with vaseline and wipe the whole thing down and leave it over night or two and then wipe the excess off with a soft cloth that should be it.
    Ralph.

Acetone will be fine to remove the Renwax. It's not like it's being soaked for days in it. Like Ralph and Sam said, let it dry thoroughly and Q-tip the Vaseline on. Nothing really Kills the zinc pest. but Vaseline smothers it and slows it Way down.

(that's a dandy skull,btw,Sam..)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast