Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cap Skull And Eagle

Article about: I Know These Are Real,i Need To Really Study The Best Fakes And The Real Ones To Know With Confedence The Difference.

?

Default Re: Cap Skull And Eagle

Yep, I've sold mine about 8 years ago, but now they are quiet exspensive
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cap Skull And Eagle
    P
    Many

IN 1968 AN OFFICERS VISOR SOLD FOR: APPROX $350.00

Hi Jim, that sounds very cheap now, but I bet at the time it was a lot of money?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Good comparision is the food- hot dog: 1968year 30 cents. Now 3.oo Usd
    Cap 350 USD now 3500 USD.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

I spend a lot of time perusing the old threads and militaria website archives for caps and insignia in an effort to learn to distinguish the real from the fake. One thing that happens often is that I recognize caps I've seen before usually by the rzm tag or a particular individual feature. As I read this old post from 2008 I recognized the tag and matched it with a cap that sold on Bill Shea's site over a year ago for over $6,800. At the time of this thread 2008, this cap was valued at about $3,500. I also noticed how beat up the cap looked by the time it was sold on Shea's site. I wonder how many hands it exchanged in 12 years. Still a desirable cap, I wish I owned it

Credit: Bill Shea
    Cap Skull And EagleCap Skull And Eagle

Cap Skull And Eagle

On another note I often see the same caps and skulls being sold over and over again. the one disturbing trend I've seen several times is the cap being stripped of original cupal or aluminum insignia and being replaced with cheaper zinc variants. While I still consider the cap authentic if the insignia has been replaced I wish collectors would maintain the integrity of the cap that survived 6-8 decades untouched. I guess the need for profit is stronger than the need to collect and preserve. The cap below was sold with nice Deschler cupal TK then sold off with replaced zinc Ovehoff skull. The hat is almost unrecognizable because of the poor quality pictures by the second website if not for the tag and the damaged chinstrap. I guess I spend way too much time looking at black caps

Credit Kelly Hicks:

Credit: Gettysburg

Regards, Al

Great recognition job on caps after so long.
    I would like to add a detail in relation to the second cap.
    I believe the Deschler cupal was replaced by a not cheaper near mint Ovehoff cupal by some previous owner and the reason was more aesthetic than financial gain as it is best seen by a similar patina in conjunction with the m1 / 167 zinc eagle.
    this would be my first, why? the skull was changed.
    I have a second theory, but I prefer not to reveal for the moment because could hurt the sensitivity of some.

Cap Skull And Eagle

look at the manufacturing error , the shape of the nose and the burrsthat you will only find on the cupal Ovehoff skulls even they are made of the same mold that the first type zinc Ovehoff skulls.

Cap Skull And Eagle

more obvious or less obvious but only in cupal Overhoff skulls , I discovered this pattern of recognition by chance in researching the response to a thread that you opened a while ago, thanks Aldo.

Cap Skull And Eagle

whatever the real reason for the change, I also think it was a tremendous mistake not to maintain the integrity of the set.
    Jedem das Seine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2