Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early jawless Totenkopf

Article about: This is one I haven't come across very often, I don't recall ever seeing it in SS use, but this is the place where the Totenkopf experts reside. I think it's a good one, but I can't find any

Default Early jawless Totenkopf

This is one I haven't come across very often, I don't recall ever seeing it in SS use, but this is the place where the Totenkopf experts reside. I think it's a good one, but I can't find any other examples to compare it to, despite being sure of having seen them. Anyone know of this kind, and it's background? I think this one is much older than WW2, but I don't know facts here. All help appreciated as usual.

Mat
    Attached Images Attached Images Early jawless Totenkopf  Early jawless Totenkopf 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early jawless Totenkopf
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Early jawless Totenkopf

The earliest Death's Heads used by the SS were originally manufactured during WWI for units such as the storm troopers, early tank crews and flamethrower units. This skull could be one of those variants. The eyes are very distinctive on these earlier pattern skulls, being longer than on later examples. Somebody will verify if it is authentic for sure, I can only say what it might be, should it be original.

Regards

Carl

I think you're right Carl, it gives me the impression of a WW1-era Totenkopf also. I'd be very interested in knowing it's actual usage, if anyone knows.

Mat

I believe the skull shown in this collection on the far left, (middle row) shows a similar example. This photo was posted by Friedrich, and I believe the collection belongs to a colector named Lumsden.

Mat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early jawless Totenkopf  

Anyone have any photos of examples of this variety?

Mat

This arrived today. Has some rust and a tiny crack, but I think it's a nice piece. I'm quite confidant it's genuine, though any knowledge regarding it is appreciated. I'm still unsure as to it's usage, if anything is known about it. It was sold along with a WW1 wound badge which may be a clue, apparently both bought at a house clearance. Would these have perhaps been worn by Stormtroops?

I added comparison pictures with my other 1st pattern skulls.

Mat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early jawless Totenkopf   Early jawless Totenkopf  

Early jawless Totenkopf   Early jawless Totenkopf  

Early jawless Totenkopf   Early jawless Totenkopf  

Early jawless Totenkopf  

you have a very nice skull and would be interested to know if this is indeed a ww1 item or not it looks nice thought whatever time frame it was made

tom

Thanks tom, I was pretty pleased to find this. Does no one have anything on it? No one else have this kind of skull?

Mat

Putting this to the top again, I've still not found anything on this type, and I'd love to hear anything about it that anyone can tell me.

Mat

mat this is all i could scrounge up August von Mackensen; German field marshall (hussars) and later The German Imperial units had adopted the Deathhead (Skull-Totenkopf) as their symbol and this is probably the origin in German unitsEarly jawless TotenkopfEarly jawless Totenkopf the other picture is the flamethrower unit for the stormtroopers but i can't find any surviving examples i shall keep looking

tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast