Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fake Skull on Black SS Cap

Article about: I was browsing a reputable WWII German militaria site, and I stumbled upon a cap that is listed as an Allgemeine-SS enlisted man's visor cap. The description states that the cap has "th

Default Fake Skull on Black SS Cap

I was browsing a reputable WWII German militaria site, and I stumbled upon a cap that is listed as an Allgemeine-SS enlisted man's visor cap. The description states that the cap has "the original aluminum eagle and a replacement skull." To me, this sounded as if the seller meant that the original skull on the cap had been replaced with another authentic skull somewhere down the line. So, I took a closer look at the photos. Here are 2 pictures of the cap:

The skull attached to this cap appears to be a well-known Austrian fake from the 1980's. Here are some pictures of this particular fake:

Fake Skull on Black SS CapFake Skull on Black SS Cap

The backside of this particular fake has the "RZM SS 360/42" mark. The "360/42" mark does not appear on any authentic skull, and the SS runes, while present on some authentic cap eagles, were never included on any totenkopf badges. I emailed the seller to suggest that he might want to change the wording in the item's description to avoid any confusion on the part of potential buyers.

Although I'm fairly certain that this is a fake, I'd like a second set of eyes to confirm it (this may be one of the "SS 373/43" or "475/43" fakes -- I'm not sure). I'd also like to hear people's opinions on the eagle, as I know relatively nothing about those (I tend to focus on the totenkopf badges). Also, do you think I was right to make my suggestion to the seller? He runs a reputable militaria site, so I was only trying to be helpful. If you think the original wording in the description was a bit confusing or vague, let me know! Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake Skull on Black SS Cap
    P
    Many

Quote by daveward View Post
    Also, do you think I was right to make my suggestion to the seller?
    I think the seller clearly defined the ítem:

Allgemeine-SS Enlisted Man's Visor Cap. Great looking Allgemeine-SS Enlisted Man's Visor Cap made by Heinrich Wille of Hannover, which was RZM number 195, having the original aluminum eagle and a """REPLICA""" skull. The chinstrap has the correct SS/RZM ink marking underneath and the visor appears to be a """REPLICA""" as does the sweatband.
    Jedem das Seine

Quote by another ant View Post
    I think the seller clearly defined the ítem:

Allgemeine-SS Enlisted Man's Visor Cap. Great looking Allgemeine-SS Enlisted Man's Visor Cap made by Heinrich Wille of Hannover, which was RZM number 195, having the original aluminum eagle and a """REPLICA""" skull. The chinstrap has the correct SS/RZM ink marking underneath and the visor appears to be a """REPLICA""" as does the sweatband.
    Haha, the original description used the word "replacement" instead of "replica." He has since changed the description after receiving my email. He's a reputable dealer, and he responded promptly to my email to explain that he knew the skull was a fake and meant to state that more clearly. Our correspondence was quite positive, and he seems like a very knowledgeable and friendly guy. I was simply trying to help him avoid confusion with potential buyers. Thanks for the update, another ant!

This cap has been listed for a little while with replacement skull and recently updated to replica. I remember seeing it while looking for my amusement and do not have enough knowledge to discern whether it is an original or replica skull. I do know the seller is a very nice individual, quite reputable and I would recommend him to anyone.

here, is an original last ditch Assmann for compare

welcome daveward
    I think, you will also be a good "savants scull"
    Last edited by another ant; 02-24-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    Jedem das Seine

Quote by another ant View Post
    welcome daveward
    I think, you will also be a good "savants scull"
    Why thank you! I sure hope so...

Once again for clarity, this is a black SS cap and not necessarily an Allgemeome piece unless marked to such unit. Too many collectors and dealers call anything black ass "Allgemeine SS," which is incorrect. The black uniform was the dress uniform of all branches of the SS. I wanted to add this as the title of this thread continues this incorrect information.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Sorry about that, Bob. I simply used the seller's description when creating my thread title. I didn't mean to misinform the group!

Quote by daveward View Post
    Sorry about that, Bob. I simply used the seller's description when creating my thread title. I didn't mean to misinform the group!
    No problem! Welcome to the Forum. I have long been on a crusade to clarify this frequent error. As you can see, it is a common error among dealers.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

The cap in question, as Bob notes, is a black SS cap, and it is an authentic cap, which is likely far more salient than the issue of the fake badge. If I recall, the sweat band and perhaps the peak on this cap have been replaced, but the cap itself is real. This kind of thing is not uncommon.

Authentic SS caps are often found with replaced badges, or replaced faked badges.

I offer this observation as one who has long collected these items, as has Bob Coleman.

Further, persons without collections, but with an extraordinary level of ambition, can better enable themselves to collect this regalia through quiet learning and inspection of real items. Everyone can pose questions so long as such inquiry is done in a spirit of fairness.

By the same token, beginners do not want to be subjected to a level of counter examination for which their knowledge and experience hardly match that of the senior persons here.

Nor is it acceptable that this medium be used by some as an outlet for their own frustrations that someone else collected SS regalia decades before they were born or some other injustice which the internet

rubs in our tired noses. I am very aware that this medium amplifies inequalities and inequities in a hurtful way.

There are too few informed people who carry a huge burden here to enlighten others. Bob Coleman is one of these people, whom I salute.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast