MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

M1/24 Overhoff Skull in Zinc - Your Thoughts?

Article about: Here is a rather convincing zinc Overhoff that I came across while checking out the various dealer sites: The front side shows the classic "smooth" eye shape of the Overhoff style,

Default M1/24 Overhoff Skull in Zinc - Your Thoughts?

Here is a rather convincing zinc Overhoff that I came across while checking out the various dealer sites:

The front side shows the classic "smooth" eye shape of the Overhoff style, as well as the characteristic "square" teeth associated with this type of skull. The nose hole also has that simple Overhoff look to it. The surface is rough, but this is a zinc piece, so that is to be expected. The wear pattern also looks legitimate. You can see some excess material in the nose and eye holes, but I believe this may simply be small flakes of the silver finish that have lifted up.

The backside is interesting to me, as I haven't seen them look so dark before. I found it particularly interesting that the borders of the prong attachment points are clearly defined against this black discoloration. The prong attachment points themselves look consistent with what you'd expect on an M1/24 skull. The prongs themselves look authentic, as they have the characteristic notches that are often seen on Overhoff skulls.

Here's another view of the back where we can see the striking lack of black discoloration around the prong attachment points.

The thing I found particularly interesting about this skull is that it is offered for sale TWICE on the website, for two different prices (there is a difference of $100 between the two listings). Different pictures of the skull are used for each sales listing, and the skull has been given two unique item numbers.

Here is the picture used for the second listing. You can see the same wear pattern, and even the unique excess material in the nose and eye holes again.

Here is the backside view for the second listing. Here we see the same blackened surface, as well as the green mark on the prong.

The double listing may very well be just a clerical error. Either way, I'm interested to hear your opinions on this skull. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1/24 Overhoff Skull in Zinc - Your Thoughts?
    P
    Many

Looks fine to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!