Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1-52 skull help

Article about: How does this look to you guys? It looks good to me. I think it is zinc but I am still learning about this pin.

Default M1-52 skull help

How does this look to you guys? It looks good to me. I think it is zinc but I am still learning about this pin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1-52 skull help   M1-52 skull help  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1-52 skull help
    P
    Many

Default Re: M1-52 skull help

IMHO, it's not good. Please compare with this one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1-52 skull help  

I think my Swedish colleague is correct. Here is a piece on the Shea site on an NCO cap of the war era. Th piece posted above is odd somehow. Zinc also corrodes fairly drastically, as well, in my experience. There are many images of pieces with zinc that has biodegraded or whatever one should call it.

Happy badges to a world of seekers.
    Attached Images Attached Images M1-52 skull help 

The skull that started this thread is unquestionably fake. Even in that poor condition, the suture lines are a clear giveaway that it is not an original Deschler (not to mention the incorrect pin style).

Different original manufacturers used different zinc alloys in the production of their insignia. Depending upon the composition, they tend to oxidize differently. Those of lower quality and with cheaper compounds tend to break down more easily than others. However, what we see with this one is artificial aging intended to mask some of the telltale features of the fake in order to deceive potential buyers. Excessive chemical aging, along with fuzzy, out-of-focus photos, are common tricks of eBay sellers to try to pass off crap as authentic.

Bradh