Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

my new cap set

Article about: hi i belief you the reaction above is just a prank exept the laptop thing but i have bought this set because when i find a real set i want to compare them whats bad and whats good many thank

Default my new cap set

hello again

i did a little homework and hope that i did it wright
    i have been offerd this set

eagle is marked ss 475/42 sorry about the red blob on the swas
    and the skull ss 373/43

hopfully this set is a good one
    Last edited by j dubbel; 01-31-2009 at 02:19 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement my new cap set
    P
    Many

Default Re: my new cap set

You have been offered reproduction insignia of late 20th century and reputedly central European origin,

The German dagger and Wehrmacht Awards sites include visual tutorials on these controversial and complicated little pieces of alloy.

Sorry to break the bad news, but the path to the truth begins with heartache.

Mr. Bwanek and Mr, Hritz, not to mention our august European colleagues, are expert in these badges. I just improvise, since I refuse to pull the things off of caps. Hence, my knowledge is limited.

Final point, the computer pictures do not tell the whole story of cap badges. You have to examine a number of original pieces in hand best to decipher the fakes. This is the rub, of course. How to gain access in person to many original badges? For many, this is an impossible requirement.

F-B has said it all. Leave this set and wait for another, sorry.
    One quick lesson; original skulls were never marked with "SS".

?

>the computer pictures do not tell the whole story of cap badges<

one of my favorite lines from spy fiction (a j. le carre character talking about secrets) may be relevant here:

"nobody knows the whole story so nobody knows there isn't one..."

still, we can hope this fellow - like us - finds at least some satisfying parts of the whole.

dw

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    You have been offered reproduction insignia of late 20th century and reputedly central European origin,

The German dagger and Wehrmacht Awards sites include visual tutorials on these controversial and complicated little pieces of alloy.

Sorry to break the bad news, but the path to the truth begins with heartache.

Mr. Bwanek and Mr, Hritz, not to mention our august European colleagues, are expert in these badges. I just improvise, since I refuse to pull the things off of caps. Hence, my knowledge is limited.

Final point, the computer pictures do not tell the whole story of cap badges. You have to examine a number of original pieces in hand best to decipher the fakes. This is the rub, of course. How to gain access in person to many original badges? For many, this is an impossible requirement.

Thanks for the above, and mea culpa if I seem too exclusive and pettifogging. But I stress the point that the computer images are, in part, a snare and a delusion. Perhaps it is my fading eyesight, but there are things on real ones, in real life, that can only be seen under magnification. And, there are things that are evident in computer pictures, which are quite hard to see in normal circumstances in real examples.

Here is an authentic (I think...) Deschler badge recently posted on another site. I shall leave others to explain its traits. There is a prejudice in the internet towards Deschler badges, as there is towards Lubstein cap, I think. Such ignores the other models and makers, in fact.

The Austrian fake above is loosely based on something based on an Assmann model Totenschaedel.

I repeat: I collect the insignia on the caps and do not remove the insignia to admire its subtle variations in 36o degrees. I am happy if the cap has authentic insignia that are essentially of the epoch of the cap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture my new cap set  

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Here is an authentic (I think...) Deschler badge recently posted on another site.
    That's a wonderful authentic M1/52 Deschler skull made of CupAl. (Thin layers of copper and aluminum.) The details in the die struck are very nice and the aging is unmistakable.
    How do I know? I've been fortunate to have handled and examined known originals. Also, I've been fortunate to have made some friends who have examined and collected these fellows for years. They have told me what to look for and have helped me a lot. Here are a couple of photos of an M1/52 Deschler I used to own and one photo of my Assmann skull attached to my cap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture my new cap set   my new cap set  

my new cap set  

hi

well maybe a fake set again but you have to buy some fakers at some point to know the truth about these things
    i bought these from sid [also a member here]

but ill post better pics when i have them in my hands
    and go on whit my homework

Quote by wehrmachtsman View Post
    hello again

i did a little homework and hope that i did it wright
    i have been offerd this set

eagle is marked ss 475/42 sorry about the red blob on the swas
    and the skull ss 373/43

hopfully this set is a good one
    I compliment you on trying to do your homework, but you really need a new textbook; the one you used was WRONG!

As stated by others already, these two are clearly fakes. The 373/43 number is entirely bogus and, while Wagner did make eagles using the number 475/42, this cast copy is not even close.

Sorry,
    Brad

and thanks again for the punch on my head

ill try to get a new laptop were i can do my homework on
    the oldy has had it whit me sometimes the screen die`s in front of me
    and it doesnt have its sleepmode on

Quote by wehrmachtsman View Post
    and thanks again for the punch on my head

ill try to get a new laptop were i can do my homework on
    the oldy has had it whit me sometimes the screen die`s in front of me
    and it doesnt have its sleepmode on
    Please do not take my comments as a "dis." There are plenty of outdated references out there with incorrect information. In particular, some of the first high-end fakes to hit the market from Austria in the 70's (or so) were of such relative quality that they were believed by many to be originals and were included in references as such. My point is that not all references are equal in terms of "scholarly" research.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast