Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

In need of some help.

Article about: Hello all, in need of a bit of help on these. I have got some books on the subject but no experience and no confidence in telling a fake from the real thing at the moment so if these are the

Default In need of some help.

Hello all, in need of a bit of help on these. I have got some books on the subject but no experience and no confidence in telling a fake from the real thing at the moment so if these are the real thing, (got a couple of days to think it over before buying), I will have an idea of what to look for in future. I have 4 0f them, the fourth is a fake as there is hardly any detail and it just feels wrong, it is too thin.In need of some help.In need of some help.In need of some help.In need of some help.In need of some help.In need of some help.In need of some help.In need of some help.
    Many thanks four opinions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement In need of some help.
    P
    Many

The Danziger might, might be real. The rest are catastrophic junk.

Do read all the threads here. Please.

- - ------- - -

In need of some help.Danziger.

Please do not ask me to distill fifty years of experience and a million dollars of cost into a single post on a thread.
    Please do yourself and all of us the favor of some work before engaging especially this deadly and usually tragic line of effort.
    And, do not think that looking at the images on screen nearly equips you for the challenge.
    It does not. It cannot.

Thank you FB for your honest, if not coarse reply. I am trying very hard to get to grips with this subject and not being in the position to handle these items personally or know of anyone I call upon to help, this forum is the only answer for me. If these had been the real thing, I could then make comparisons to others that may come my way. To be honest, I think that I may just forget about these as they cause so much trouble for the novice and as I have found with the visor caps, to hold the item in your hand and feel the quality, as well as the reading of books, that this is the only way to get to know these skulls. Thank you again for your reply. Steve.

Steven, it's true that being able to handle some authentic skulls would help you to better recognize originals. However, there is a lot that can be learned by studying the many threads in this section of the forum and noting the subtle differences in visual characteristics that are unique to each maker, as well as the various markings and types of prongs used on these skulls. Don't give up hope yet! While handling the real items is certainly the best way to learn about them, their rarity often makes this a challenge (especially for the novice collector). I would argue that one can learn enough about these skulls through this forum to spot the majority of fakes on the market. Just take some time to browse through the pictures of authentic skulls, as well as the known fakes. You'll learn a great deal. There are a number of authentic skulls for sale online right now -- you just have to learn what to look for.

Only the danziger skull is good, the rest is horrible.

[QUOTE=carlsson1982;1379916]Only the danziger skull is good, the rest is horrible.[/QUOTE

Many thanks for your post, if only the danziger is good I shall keep that one, it's only going to set me back £78. I will send the others back for a refund.
    Steve.

Man, I still can't get over that last one... What an ugly attempt at a cap skull! It's worth noting that the first two appear to be the exact same fake. They have identical inauthentic characteristics. You may want to inform the dealer/seller of this so that he does not waste his money acquiring these types of skulls under the assumption that they are authentic.

My answer has the tone it does because this section was created by Adrian Stevenson for the purpose of dealing with your query.

Is it fake?

Expertise in these items is few and far between, and we rely on a small number of people who graciously share.

The novice can engage in mutual aid and self help through the use of the resources we have already amassed.

Thank you all for your constructive comments, I will trouble you no further on this subject so you may consider it closed.
    Regards Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast