Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

RZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story

Article about: by ToxicGas You have an impressive collection Friedrich, and these reference photos are very useful. I have saved a few for the purpose of comparing, thanks. If I were to seek an eagle to di

Default re: RZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    You have an impressive collection Friedrich, and these reference photos are very useful. I have saved a few for the purpose of comparing, thanks.

If I were to seek an eagle to display with the skull, would it have to be Deschler to be accurate? I seem to recall reading a similar discussion and I think it was said that the insignias weren't always matching to one maker, but I'm not sure.

Also, am I correct in thinking that a concentration camp SS guard's uniform would be of the field grey type, like in a couple of those pictures?

Mat
    As concerns the uniform worn in concentration camps, read Mollo's fourth volume together with the Beaver books. The SSTV began to wear a field grey uniform more or less ca. 1937/8, maybe more 1938.
    damit, basta.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default re: RZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story

Thanks for the info Friedrich. I had forgotten the name, SSTV- I'll do some further research. I can now also seek an eagle, of whichever make comes by first.

Panzer1031- I know of one for sale, I'll send you a link via PM.

Mat

Default Re: RZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story

Would anyone know if there is any means of finding pictures of Belsen camp guards in uniform? I thought it would be interesting to display with the Totenkopf perhaps, for some context. I've tried to research but only found one poor quality image of the camp kommandant, Joseph Kramer, wearing his cap. If not, any good images of Totenkopfverbände in full uniform would also be appreciated. I imagine portraits are probably best.

Also, can anyone point me to a good place where I may find an eagle to buy? They don't turn up often on the trusted sites I know.
    Thanks for looking,

Mat

Ask and you shall receive.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Projekt78-3.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	231033 One does not know whether the cute dogs grew up into concentration camp beasts along with the smoking Wachverbaende troops here.
    damit, basta.

Or this....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic0116.JPG 
Views:	1006 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	231039
    damit, basta.

Thanks for the response Friedrich. The hats they wear in the 1st photo: were these worn by lower-ranking soldiers while the caps (like to which my insignia belongs) were worn by high ranks? Or will these men have had them also?

The 2nd photo shows a pre-war uniform, doesn't it?

Mat

Your cap badge was worn by all ranks on the black and grey cap. The 1st image I included today is of Wachverbaende/SSTV troops ca. 193X in a field cap introduced in 1934. The black uniform is ca. 193X, in about 1935 or 36, I think, but I do not know. d'Alquen is our real expert on the Wachverbaende qua SSTV insignia. I just have owned or do own a few pieces of such regalia.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1122.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	231052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NaziTunic Chevron 009.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	231054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NaziTunic Cuff Title 013.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	231053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NaziTunic Upper left pocket 015.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	231055
    The cap on the right in this image is that of an SSTV officer, and the tunic speaks for itself.
    damit, basta.

Apparently in the SSTV 1 "Oberbayern" the officers wore a black field cap with an alu piping. This is not the place to reconstruct in detail the regalia of the concentration camp system in detail, as, like all the SS, it was always in flux and complicated beyond the generalizations possible in two line entries on websites.
    Buy the Mollo books and also the Beaver ones, but read Mollo first to get the overview with examples illustrated in Beaver, but surely not all types of uniform.
    damit, basta.

The uniform I own was made ca 1935-7, as near as I can determine. It has the numbered SSTV collar patch.
    damit, basta.

In the early 1970s, I owned one of the earth brown overseas caps with all the tags that are well illustrated in the Shea Beaver book and which are on the heads of the Wachverbaende men with puppies in the 1st image of today's work. I sold the thing, which was quite stupid. I sold lots of stuff I should never have done so, but I did not see all the future as regards this regalia.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Projekt78-3.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	231061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RZM tags ca. Nov 1934.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	231062
    damit, basta.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast