Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?

Article about: I've been wanting to start collecting Totenkopf badges for a while, but I've held back so far since I don't have enough knowledge to confidantly distinguish between real examples and fakes,

Default Re: SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?

Here is the use of the Totenkopf on an imperial cap used in the Reichswehr in the early 1920s. Such use of imperial items of dress "zum Auftragen" was normal in the first years of the 100,000 man Heer.

This cap is from Lumsden's collection and is much, much rarer than an SS cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?
    P
    Many

This is a later tranche of Lumsden's skull circus with more variants. Such includes, I think, the examples found in a Baugrube in Berlin and its environs (of which there have been many since 1990)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?  

The two central examples in that last photo are very nice! Is one a collar tab skull?

Well, 2 down, many to go... somehow, I don't think I'm going to even scratch the surface with these, but it's still interesting to research all of this. I'll have to keep checking my little selection of sites I frequently check for new dead-heads. I think I'll also do what I've seen suggested someplace here: make a collection of photos of known original examples, like the ones you helpfully provided.

other variants in this unendliche Geschichte.... also notice the neusilber finish reveals the buntmetall base metal beneath.
    Those with a mania for standardization and the anachronistic projection into the past of today's homogenized world will be baffled by these little things, which varied from one regalia maker to the next. No one can say how many actually existed in the era 1880-1940, in fact. Surely more than the leading names which we cite....

Jan
    ?

Good thread this one

Hi, I'm seeking advice once more on another Totenkopf. This one's silver plated according to the seller. I have compared it to other photos of originals on here, and have noticed that the details are much less sharp on this example- though I realise that there are many variations and it could possibly be due to the silver plating if this is true?
    Let me know what you think of this, I'd like to know any information you can tell me about it. Thanks!

-Mat

I cannot really tell from your image, but something does not look quite right.

Here are two authentic ones with a lot of Neusilber left on them.

But something is odd with your piece there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?  

Perhaps it's just the quality of the photos, as that's what caused problems with the first I bought- better photos revealed all was fine. I forgot to show the back, so I've attached that photo. Does that help at all?
    I trust your experience, and if you don't like this, then I won't buy it!

The reverse confirms my doubts. I have never seen a real Deschler badge with this reverse. If I were you, I would not buy it.

Sorry.

The real ones of these are quite costly and seldom found at a bargain price.

Don't I know it...

These here are not mine, though I do own ones like them on caps.

Viz: I must say there is something deeply frustrating about all of this, really. This piece is actually in the Shea/Beaver book on SS headgear...

And it is one that I have not inadvertently sold like all the other SS and SA caps I have somehow managed to own with celebrity status and not know it.

Merry Christmas and happy new year, and may your new year include SS cap insignia at a reasonable, non speculative price.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast