Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?

Article about: I've been wanting to start collecting Totenkopf badges for a while, but I've held back so far since I don't have enough knowledge to confidantly distinguish between real examples and fakes,

Default SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?

I've been wanting to start collecting Totenkopf badges for a while, but I've held back so far since I don't have enough knowledge to confidantly distinguish between real examples and fakes, let alone identification. I found this one, which looks good to me in regards to originality. It's described as a Waffen SS Totenkopf- I always thought this style skull was used by Panzer crew, but as I say, I don't know very much on them. Can anyone confirm whether this is real, and suggest how much it's approximately worth if that's the case? Any further information on this would be greatly appreciated also. I hope to buy this soon!
    Thanks in advance,
    Mat
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?  SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?
    P
    Many

Judas
    ?

Default Re: SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?

Firstly , hello!
    I think (personally) that collecting totenkopf insignia like the early example you show here is a potential minefield, there are soo many snides circulating, all rzm stamped etc etc, I know for a fact that there are some excellent repros of the second pattern, how do I know? because I got shafted with one lol.... you live and learn eh?

Where did you obtain this one?

Hi there! I know what you mean with fakes, it seems that collecting anything related to the Third Reich is a mine field... but I'm used to it after a few years of collecting fossils. You wouldn't believe how many convincing fakes there are, especially on the high end things like dinosaur eggs, but that's another story.
    I haven't yet obtained it, but I plan on buying it. As I say, from what I know, I believe it looks authentic, but I know how good some fakes can be. And just the mention of it being Waffen SS (if that's even accurate) raises my suspicion. I believe I'm very lucky in that I can start collecting with access to many peoples' years of experience on here!

(By the way Judas, you wouldn't happen to be on DeviantArt.com would you..?)

Hi Mat, the colour is odd, but this could be the tone of the photo.

Try and get a beter pic taken in daylight.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade, these are the only shots of this one I can provide, as I don't own this yet- these are the pcitures provided by the seller. He has a number of them that he claims were found in the basement of a Berlin factory after a fire occured- perhaps the patina of this is due to the effects of fire? I've attached a photo of another example for sale, that looks to have a more usual colouration.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine? 

That looks a bit better.

The Berlin story is true I think, but some people dispute it. Not a fire, but a demolision find in the ground. Most have sandy soil still stuck to them, like you would find in Berlin. I have been there.

How much is he asking if I can be cheeky?

Cheers, Ade.

Oh, really? It just says in the description there was a fire in 2001. These are £25 each, which is why I plan on getting one of these as my first piece, because I just don't want to risk lots of money on one of the more valuable types only to find I bought a fake! Does this price sound reasonable to you?
    Also, is this Waffen SS as claimed?

By the way, these were not made as items for the SS: they are Imperial cap skulls and were worn as Tradition badges by the Heer. They were however used by the SS in the early days. Two patterns of badges were found in Berlin.

Here is mine. Note the sawtooth edge to the prongs.

The only thing that bothers me about the ones you show is the colour. But I think it is just the pics. The price is fine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?   SS Totenkopf badge- Genuine?  

Ah, I had a feeling the Waffen SS claim would be false... comparing them, I think they do look ok, even down to the sawtoothed prongs as you point out. I guess the discolouration of the badges could be down to the fact they were buried / in a fire, which doesn't at all bother me- should clean up too, if I ever decided to do that. Thanks again for your help, Ade. I think I can purchase confidantly now. I'll post a new picture of it when I have it in my hands.

Judas
    ?

Quote by ToxicGas View Post

(By the way Judas, you wouldn't happen to be on DeviantArt.com would you..?)

Why damn it man you found me lol... .... How did you know I was on DA? by my name or by searching Third Reich related images?

Back to topic...
    Who is your supplier? is it a well known local one or an overseas unit?

Peace

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast