Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ugly Late War Assmann TK

Article about: I picked up this SS cap skull by Assmann & Sohn despite it's terrible condition. It is riddled with zinc pest, mostly on the surface, but you can see where it has corrupted some of the e

?

Default Ugly Late War Assmann TK

I picked up this SS cap skull by Assmann & Sohn despite it's terrible condition. It is riddled with zinc pest, mostly on the surface, but you can see where it has corrupted some of the edges. I picked it up for about a quarter of the price of a nice one so I felt compelled to give it a home. I gave it a light brushing and coated it with petroleum jelly to slow down the corrosion.

Ugly Late War Assmann TK

Ugly Late War Assmann TKUgly Late War Assmann TK
    Ugly Late War Assmann TK

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ugly Late War Assmann TK
    P
    Many

Rough around the edges, but still a Totenkopf! Ground dug, maybe?

Regards, B.B.

?

A weird thought thinking eventually these late war pieces may become zinc dust. Good thing there are plenty of photos now to atleast have proof of what they looked like in better days. Neat bargin in terms of what you paid!

?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    A weird thought thinking eventually these late war pieces may become zinc dust. Good thing there are plenty of photos now to atleast have proof of what they looked like in better days. Neat bargin in terms of what you paid!
    They won't continue to corrode, unless they are exposed to moisture, though, right?

?

Quote by Ethan View Post
    They won't continue to corrode, unless they are exposed to moisture, though, right?
    Correct, I believe if properly stored in a dry place with a good coating of petroleum jelly, it should be good.

?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Rough around the edges, but still a Totenkopf! Ground dug, maybe?

Regards, B.B.
    Possibly just a victim of being improperly stored and exposed to too much moisture, but who knows for sure.

?

I was under the assumption its a continuous process of the impurities making zinc into crystals or something and the petroleum jelly stopped humidity speeding up the process. Good to hear that aint the case

?

I believe you are correct, it is a continuous process that is considerably slowed down with proper treatment. If you owned it at your age it might disintegrate by the time you reach old age. At my age it's probably a safe bet it will outlive me. LOL

Quote by Aldo View Post
    I believe you are correct, it is a continuous process that is considerably slowed down with proper treatment. If you owned it at your age it might disintegrate by the time you reach old age. At my age it's probably a safe bet it will outlive me. LOL
    A small coat of vaseline can do the trick aswell