Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

What do you think of the skull in the middle?

Article about: I recently came across this "set" for sale... the outer skulls are obviously fake, but what do you think of the one in the middle? Of course the prongs are wrong, but maybe it is a

Default What do you think of the skull in the middle?

I recently came across this "set" for sale... the outer skulls are obviously fake, but what do you think of the one in the middle? Of course the prongs are wrong, but maybe it is a repair? Only reason I am asking is that I am not familiar with that variety and would like to add it to my collection at some point... cheers,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do you think of the skull in the middle?
    P
    Many

Have you compared with the pinned thread posted in the same section first ?

SS cap eagles and skulls
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

The middle one looks like a cast fake too. I would look elsewhere. Here are two examples of mine and a photo of one on an SS cap

What do you think of the skull in the middle?What do you think of the skull in the middle?
    What do you think of the skull in the middle?What do you think of the skull in the middle?

?

Quote by waffen67 View Post
    Of course the prongs are wrong, but maybe it is a repair?
    Waffen, I like to take threads like this and use them as a training ground for myself and anyone else that's interested in learning specifics. There is no substitute for hands on examination. I'm familiar with the previous type because I own two and have had the luxury of handling and examining them. You now have experience with the other more typical type because you added a nice example to your own collection. Other members like carlsson who have handled hundreds of totenkopfs can spot a fake at a glance. We have to look at the totality of the item at hand. Aside from having poor detail and cast flaws and blobs and the wrong prongs it also does not look like something that has been cleanly punched out on a die but rather crudely molded.

Also as an example of immense variety I want to compare these two types from my collection to exhibit the vast difference in quality, finish and hardware. Despite their vast differences, they are both authentic. I assumed all these types of Danziger had the same type of straight prongs with either sharp ends or blunt tips. As you can see the aluminum one on the right has round pins vs the traditional prongs. I hope some of this helps.

Regards, Al

fake

?

All 3 skulls are junk mate. Sorry.