Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Zimmermann Totenkopf Original?

Article about: Hello All, I spotted this skull some time ago and according to the research done on here it appears that it is one of the new age fakes. I note on the back there is only one cut on the pins

Default Zimmermann Totenkopf Original?

Hello All,
    I spotted this skull some time ago and according to the research done on here it appears that it is one of the new age fakes.
    I note on the back there is only one cut on the pins rather than the expected 2.
    It looks quite convincing.
    Should I be trying to obtain this as a part of my reproduction collection or ??

Zimmermann Totenkopf Original?Zimmermann Totenkopf Original?

Any opinions appreciated
    Cheers
    Doug

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zimmermann Totenkopf Original?
    P
    Many

?

Imo opinion Original yes. CupAl Zimmerman.

Thanks for your input Krisse
    I did do some considerable research and it is mooted by the experts who collect these badges that the example above is in fact a cast copy.
    I can obviously only go off the information on the web. Without checking I think I only have a few skulls and none of them are made by Zimmermann
    However going back to the rear pins that are shown on originals they all have pointed ends but I must admit the sharpening does look rather crude

I have decided to purchase this skull which is in a collection just so I can give it some closer inspection. Either way good or did it is a good looking skull.

Cheers
    Doug

Zimmermann Totenkopf Original?Zimmermann Totenkopf Original?Zimmermann Totenkopf Original?

Photos: Shea.

?

Well Doug, I can off course be wrong.
    Wait for Carlsson's reply. He's more knowledgeable in this field.

Zimmermann Totenkopf Original?

Photo: FB

?

The set FB has posted is amazing.
    This Zimmerman has the other kind of prong attachement. But the one with solid prings as the one you've posted also do exist.

Hello FB thank you for posting the pictures of your Zimmermann sets they really are nice pieces and exactly where they should be on the hat. I have looked at them on other threads whilst doing my research.
    Hi Krisse I have discovered that there are two types of mounting the pins
    The 'cone mounts' are the ones that have been copied to a very high degree
    Comparing the example I posted to other accepted originals there are some tiny differences but it also has a lot of similarities with the originals
    One I did note that was supposed to be only found on originals are the faults or blobs of surplus material that are under the manufacturers code numbers and the fault at the bottom of of the number 1 in the date

I am fairly sure it is a reproduction but it has to be one of the best cast copies I have come across. It is difficult to get so much detail even on a fine casting as this one.

I am reasonably sure that it is die stamped rather than moulded but I'll be able to tell once it has arrived.

Cheers
    Doug

Zimmermann Totenkopf Original?Zimmermann Totenkopf Original?The loose insignia is from Shea.

The insignia attached to the cap is my own. I do not disassemble these things.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-13-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Like my colleagues pointed out It is authentic. Other pins has been clearly reapplied and I think the back has been painted too.
    Last edited by carlsson1982; 12-14-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast