Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

14th Div Galicia Division Badges

Article about: I really hate to ask this, however I cannot go into details, but I have been asked to help find Original Badges to this unit, I know nothing about this sort of thing, however this request co

?

Default 14th Div Galicia Division Badges

I really hate to ask this, however I cannot go into details, but I have been asked to help find Original Badges to this unit, I know nothing about this sort of thing, however this request comes through someone I know that is with the Canadian Intell unit in Toronto Canada..so I help them when I can with their displays and for other things.

A Member would like Original insignia for this unit, as I know little about it, can anyone here help me out, I have searched online, but find many different badges and explainations....
    If anyone here has original badges ect that this unit would have worn for sale can you contact me at northman@rogers.com

He also tells me his people fought the Commys in the late 40s and early 50s... can that be true???

Anyway, I don't know about this time period..and I find it confussing...can anyone help out?

Thank you and Take Care

Dean O
    Canada

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 14th Div  Galicia Division Badges
    P
    Many

Quote by CampX View Post
    He also tells me his people fought the Commys in the late 40s and early 50s... can that be true???
    This might well be true. Many East Europeans that served with SS Divisions were used by the US in particular during the early post-war period in East Europe gathering intelligence on the Soviets and underwent training in covert warfare should the anticipated war with the USSR errupt.

The UPA continued its anti- communist actions until around 1948.

I would have thought it easier to find insignia in Canada as Canada and Britian accepted the majority of the divisions soldiers for immigration.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

UPA was anti-everybody depending on the time and situation.

Hi Dean

There are some excellent books about this unit written by relatives of the former members.

This unit was raised from Ukrainian volunteers in 1943/1944 and was recruited a lot of people who lived in areas that had formally come under the rule of the Austrians prior to 1918. That said they were all Ukrainians not Austrians.

The division was ready for action in 1944 just in time for the Russian offensive in the summer and were smashed at the battle sites round Brody in the Ukraine. The remnants fell back into Germany and were captured by the British in 1945. A lot of them were settled in the Uk and there is a large community in the North of England (Manchester area). I have met a lady whose dad was in the unit and settled in the UK after the war.

Read a book called Delayed Justice about uk policy on this matter..........
    Justice Delayed: How Britain Became A Refuge For Nazi War Crimina: How Britain Became a Refuge for Nazi War Criminals: Amazon.co.uk: David Cesarani: 9781842121269: Books

Book wise on the unit the best is this one........
    To Battle: The Formation and History of the 14th Waffen-SS Grenadier Division: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Melnyk: 9781874622192: Books

The Russian fought "terrorists" well into the 1950's in Ukraine and the Baltic regions. They were called the forrest brothers and some were ex ss members others just freedom fighters against the occupation.

Hope that helps, insignia I can not help with other than say be careful as it is rare and has been well copied !

cheers

Ton

?

Thank you Guys, as always you are of great help.
    I will forward the info about the books to my "friend"
    SM, yes I know that many came to Canada after the War and settled out West, along our flat Plains, however most if any did not mention their wartime Service, and I am sure, very few if any brought anything to Canada to show Service in either group

I am just trying to help out a "friend" and his "friends" are Friends of mine...sorry for seeming to hide something, but in a way I am.

That "Friend" saw a badge with the Rampert Lion and 3 Crowns..that a friend of his has, however it is on a "German cloth Shield" it does not look "right" to me..however it may be..but now he wants one and has asked me, through the Canadian Military Intel Service to find him one..so I am trying, and I would only trust members of this forum to help as I am so far out of my element

The UPA, did they have printed arm badges?

Thank you again for putting up for my lack of knowledge in this area.

Dean O
    Canada

UPA was more of a partisan force that ceased to exist in 1948.
    The members of Galizien mainly came from eastern Polish provinces as of 1939 borders.
    When captured by thr western allies, they claimed to be polish citizens not to be deported to ussr. Even gen.Anders helped them in 1945.

Many UNA soldiers out of former SS Galizien joined the French Foreign Legion after WWII.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Thank you again Guys!!

Dean O

?

Hi, I am of Ukrainian descent, my father came to the Uk in 1947.It would have been Canada but he would have had to wait longer to get a visa.He fought for the Germans,not in the 14th but another Waffen SS division. Many of his friends in Bedford were ex 14th/UNA. The photos are of ex 14th marching in Bedford 1970s and Chiddingfold 1990s where the memorial to fallen comrades was. The B&W photo was taken at the Bedford war memorial+one of the 1st Ukrainian National Army band????. They were always very defensive if you refered to them as the Waffen SS. Also here is my fathers Old Combatants badge & document + some books I have. The arm badges I don't think are genuine, just for reference.14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges14th Div  Galicia Division Badges

?

Thank you Alex, now I have a better idea of what to look for.

DEan O

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast