Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht

Article about: Hello All, I know this is not the proper place to discuss this, however since it's an SS item I thought this would be the most appropriate place. I have been "bequeathed" a 1944 SS

Luther
    ?

Default 1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht

Hello All,

I know this is not the proper place to discuss this, however since it's an SS item I thought this would be the most appropriate place.

I have been "bequeathed" a 1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht.

CONDITION:

Typical late-war paper that has aged brown. It is lightly used with a few diary entries. Some page folds and very minor separation of rear cover (about 2"). Spine remains "tight." No tears, missing pages or other damage. One small corner bump. Not quite as fine condition as the USMBooks.com example. Their example rates a really choice "Extremely Fine" while my example rates an overall "Good."

RARITY:

I have been told that it is quite rare. One website listed the following distribution, by year, that appeared on the market over 10 years: (0) 1940, (1) 1941, (2) 1942, (4) 1943, (12) 1944, (0) 1945. My research has confirmed that SS Taschenkalenders are scarce. However, I can find no definitive price trends.

I have been able to establish that there were German and Dutch versions. One can "assume" that versions were produced for other SS Foreign Legions - e.g. Danish, Norweigian, French, etc. However, it appears that this is unknown. No one that I've discussed this topic with has ever seen, nor heard of, any other versions than the German and Dutch.

VALUE:

Anyone have an idea as to it's value.

Anyone who can assist me here - Thanks in advance.

I've searched, and searched, but can find no definitive price trends. On one European dealer's website I found one priced at 245 Euros (€) which is equivalent to $350 U.S.

I've had to borrow images from USMBooks.com; they show three that are SOLD. Two 1943 and one 1944. Check out their website because they've got a lot of neat documents, books, and ephemera.

Best Regards,

Luther
    Third.Reich.Researcher
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht   1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht  

Attached Images Attached Images 1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht  1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht  1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht  1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht  1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht  1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht  1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht  1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht 

2. # ADS

Luther
    ?

Default Re: 1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht

Hello All,

From the USMBooks.com website:

The compact 3 x 5 inch, Soldatenfreund Taschenjahrbücher (Soldier’s Friend Pocket Yearbooks) for the Wehrmacht are relatively common as they were made and distributed in great quantity to the men of the Army and Luftwaffe each year during the Third Reich. Far less common are the same style books for members of the Waffen-SS.

Also called Soldatenfreund Taschenjahrbuch, Edition D was published by Adolf Spanholz Verlag of Hannover specifically for the Waffen-SS. Pictures of SS personalities adorned the inside of the front and back covers and the color section containing Nazi flags, insignia, uniforms, daggers, swords, etc. included nice sections on the SS as well as the NSKK, Hitler Youth, TeNo, Police, Army, Kriegsmarine, etc.

Certainly the best feature of the SS D Edition of the Soldatenfreund Taschenjahrbuch is the very lengthy section on the basic German laws pertaining to the SS and Waffen-SS. Those include the SS law for the protection of young girls (weibliche Jugend), the SS order regarding the last son, those pertaining to widows and orphans, the Law of Honor of the SS, the Order of the Reichsführer-SS regarding Comradeship, the grounding of the Lebensborn Society (Lebensborn eV), etc.

Another section is devoted to calendars providing space for the book’s owner to make notations of all sorts. The SS Soldatenfreund books are bound in hard covers with a cloth spine. On the covers are embossed silver runes and on the spine the date is embossed in silver.

The 1944 SS SOLDATENFREUND TASCHENJAHRBUCH contains 62 pages of black & white text, about 182 pages of daily calendars (two days to a page) for 1944, and 24 pages of flags, uniforms, insignia, etc. (total of about 270 pages).

This book also includes a page of the paratrooper style insignia of rank for Waffen-SS troops - the style worn on camouflaged uniform smocks, and a good size full-color fold-out map of the world.

Perhaps the best innovation between the 1943 and 1944 book was changing the printing from Gothic style type to a far more readable style of type like Bookman or Times.

Best Regards,

Luther
    Third.Reich.Researcher

Default Re: 1944 SS Der Soldatenfreund/Tashenjahrbuch fur die Wermacht

Quote by Luther View Post
    I found one priced at 245 Euros (€) which is equivalent to $350 U.S.
    Hi Luther
    I sold my last one for that price, sounds about correct, as long as it has the map at the back it should reach that price.
    They are not that rare