MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions wanted about SS Uniform

Article about: I spotted this uniform for sale and would like to own it, that is if it's good. Can any of you experience collectors tell me what you think of it. Thanks a lot for helping a new collector. G

Benny
    ?

Default Opinions wanted about SS Uniform

I spotted this uniform for sale and would like to own it, that is if it's good. Can any of you experience collectors tell me what you think of it. Thanks a lot for helping a new collector.

German Militaria Collectibles

2. # ADS

Default Re: Opinions wanted about SS Uniform

Quote by Benny View Post
    I spotted this uniform for sale and would like to own it,
    I wouldn't, sorry doesn't look good at all, in fact............

Benny
    ?

Can you give some reasons? I'm trying to learn.Thanks

If you want to learn, stay away from SS. I expect that you've heard it before, but its true, then buy a dozen books, and handle some real ones, spend your money getting "burned" and then maybe you're in with a chance. I hope that doesn't sound patronising, its not meant to be, its just that collectors love SS stuff, and the fakers know it. you have to remember that the fakes were started by us brits, to satisfy the yanks back in the late 60's/70's! And now look at the age of those items, its near on impossible to tell the difference unless you know.The first recorded fake was in 1946!!!!

I knew someone who spent £7000 on a lovely collection of SS items over a period of 5 years, and it was all fake! As for the tunic? well the cuff title collar tabs.......... its just too horrible for words, sorry

?

Benny,
    Don't write that tunic off, the title is good, and the tabs are in with a chance, boards look as if they could be good although the cyphers should be gilt.
    Its nice of JMB to give us Brits the honour of inventing fakes, but I think you'll find the Germans were producing badges and daggers to order back in the late 40's, by the late 60's and 70's it was already a sophisticated international industry.
    Get images, show them for opinions, and always ask for a written guarantee.
    Peter.

Hi Pete
    You may be right about the tunic, that was only my opinion, I hope it is a good one, but my first instinct is usually right, although it is very difficult to judge by pictures alone. To find a "D" tunic untouched, would be very rare to come by, and it would need a good Provenience not just a written guarantee, which as you know stands for nothing today....... And yes, the first fake i believe was made by souval in '46

All the best

The chap here who posts here under the title Big Daddy knows his away around Waffen SS Feldblusen and Dienstroecke.

Well Thanks for the kind words F-B. It would be hard to authenticate this tunic without a hands on. I do like the boards. From the pics the piping on these is of a not often seen type that I have encountered on untouched SS tunics before. The cyphers do look like silver NCO cyphers but they could be just oxidized or the gold wash has faded. The cufftitle looks like an original to me and the tabs do not look bad from these pics either. The sleeve eagle gives me pause but again a in hand inspection is a must. Digital pics are a terrible way to determine whether or not something is right or not. From these pics there is no way to tell for sure when this was all assembled. Damn that was a mouthful for me, holy crap It is possible to find "D" tunics though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions wanted about SS Uniform  
    Last edited by Sayle F; 08-26-2008 at 03:44 AM.

Dear Big Daddy, holy is spelled with one "l" Yours is a wonderful Montur.
    Thank you for the insight.

What are you my personal spell check. I must have inadvertently hit the l twice. Jesus give a old truck driver a break

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast