MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Private Purchase SS Ring - Norge 1940

Article about: Hi I thought I would share this private purchase ring with you. Hope you enjoy it. If anyone has any private purchase rings then it would be great to see them. Raymond

?

Default Re: Private Purchase SS Ring - Norge 1940

Quote by kingtiger View Post
    Geez, I gotta be careful in the mornings. It was factual however, that Gen. Patton wanted to have the German Army absorbed into the American forces and go against the Russians together. The WIKING Div was in full retreat and surrendered to the Americans and not in Russia either. All famous Generals usually knew their adversaries well and studied their tactics, especially Patton. I don't think he ever met Rommel but he knew him well, wouldn't you agree?
    He "knew" Rommel because he read the book that Rommel wrote on tank warfare. Hence the great quote in "Patton": "Rommel, you magnificent *tank commander*, I read your book!" I don't think that there were english language books on the Wiking Division in 1944-45 however.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Private Purchase SS Ring - Norge 1940
    P
    Many

You didn't need to read german to understand what was going on. Patton actually believed he was reincarnated several times and had fought in major wars prior to his WWII experiances. To quote the Three Stooges.."You have a point there, but if you comb your hair right, it won't show". Quoted only in jest to lighten the subject.

Mark

?

Geez, I gotta be careful in the mornings. It was factual however, that Gen. Patton wanted to have the German Army absorbed into the American forces and go against the Russians together. The WIKING Div was in full retreat and surrendered to the Americans and not in Russia either. All famous Generals usually knew their adversaries well and studied their tactics, especially Patton. I don't think he ever met Rommel but he knew him well, wouldn't you agree?
    Wiking surrendered at Radstadt in Bavaria on the 7th May 1945 having fought there way back from Hungary pursued by the Red Army , this was the only contact they had with the Americans and by then their combat capacity was almost completely worn down !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Agreed, that "info" is rubbish.

"Red Invaders"? I think the Germans were the agressors here....

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade, come on: You know very well, zat ze British were ze aggresors in Norway (the Altmark incident, Operation Wilfred, Operation Archery, Narvik battles etc etc). Germany was forced to rush to Norways aid to protect the Norwegian population against the Anglo aggresion!
    Purely a protective measure!
    That the Norwegians did not all see it as such (and fired on the Blücher etc) is of minor importance!
    And as always: I read it in the Völkischer Beobachter, so it must be true!!

My point was and is simply this...you did not need to meet them personally to know of them. I have some rare artifacts from the 5th SS, some from Gen Gille and some other high officers. I never met the men but I know a lot about them. End of story. I have friends in Germany who's fathers served with them and I have corresponded with and still do weekly. I only study the Eastern front and consider the 5th SS to be honorable men in a very troubled time. This is getting way off track.

six actual....out

Mark

?

It's all about posting correct , factual and historical information , unfortunately this thread has been taken off track by the posting of info that didn't include any !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Nobody need to get their knickers in a pinch, because there are valid points on both 'sides.'
    Monty certainly studied Rommel (he had to or he would have been thrashed (even more) before the end).
    I have no doubt, that Rommel likewise studied his adversary, as Rommel was not known to have been stupid
    (not the best German general/field marshal of WWII, but certainly not stupid).

?

My point was and is simply this...you did not need to meet them personally to know of them. I have some rare artifacts from the 5th SS, some from Gen Gille and some other high officers. I never met the men but I know a lot about them. End of story. I have friends in Germany who's fathers served with them and I have corresponded with and still do weekly. I only study the Eastern front and consider the 5th SS to be honorable men in a very troubled time. This is getting way off track.

six actual....out

Mark
    Interesting. I just read about Gille. Lets see some of those relics. Maybe make a seperate thread, if you are up to sharing the relics with us?

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Interesting. I just read about Gille. Lets see some of those relics. Maybe make a seperate thread, if you are up to sharing the relics with us?
    I agree i would very much like to see your Gille and Wiking items ?

1st July 1916

Surely, I had his replacement's personal SS dagger, OBSBF Hans Bunning, who replaced Gille as head of the 5th SS WIKING artillery. I also have an Iron cross document signed by Gen. Gille, OBSTF Bunning and issued to another member of the 5th SS. The dagger, a full inscription Rohm can be seen on pages 70-71 of Tom Whittmann's SS book. The document I will have to take out of safekeeping and photograph. Look at that book and you will see Gille and Bunning together.

I think I have posted this dagger on this site in the past, but I will look and be sure.

Mark

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast