Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Allg. SS tunic with early visor

Article about: A very nice grouping (to me) regardless of the post-war application of the unit collar tab - Well done!!

?

Default Re: Allg. SS tunic with early visor

Is it fair to say that most black tunics are made from Trikot? It seems to be the norm.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allg. SS tunic with early visor
    P
    Many

Allg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorThey were made of various materials, really. The main types are Tuch and Trikot, and then Trikot was in various grades. There were also lighter textiles, but I have seldom seen these other than in pictures.

I will have to analyze statistically what I own and tell you. However, I guess in what fate has left behind, there is somewhat more Trikot than not. As regards my own images, they contain more Trikot because I like the way it looks in close up pictures. Akin to my joy in the foetid odor that goes with same. The officers' uniforms are generally trikot, but I have several for enlisted ranks, and at least one Tuch uniform for an officer, too.

You won't get this level of support on the Wehrmacht Awards Forum, by the way. A new person will be hectored and insulted by sophomoric and vicious posts.

?

Perhaps more Trikot jackets are still with us due to it being more durable than Tuch? Not sure if that rings true though as most of these things were probably kept stored away in lockers and wardrobes anyway. We know that most earlier black caps are made from Tuch, is there any reason to conclude the same for jackets?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Perhaps more Trikot jackets are still with us due to it being more durable than Tuch? Not sure if that rings true though as most of these things were probably kept stored away in lockers and wardrobes anyway. We know that most earlier black caps are made from Tuch, is there any reason to conclude the same for jackets?
    I do not know for sure other than the odd sample of my collection and what I have seen of others. There were very distinct gradations of trikot, too, the better examples being akin to doeskin. I do know that the enlisted caps were changed from Tuch to Trikot at the end of 1935, more or less.

The Sonderanfertigung black other ranks cap is made of a better grade of Trikot than the normal variety, for instance.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I do know that the enlisted caps were changed from Tuch to Trikot at the end of 1935, more or less.
    Indeed and I just wondered if the same were true for jackets but it would seem not.

Thanks as always my friend, I doubt many are even aware of these documented different fabric options and grades of Trikot on the other site.

Allg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visor
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    Indeed and I just wondered if the same were true for jackets but it would seem not.

Thanks as always my friend, I doubt many are even aware of these documented different fabric options and grades of Trikot on the other site.
    The 1938 price list includes more or less the same grades of textiles for the ready to wear tunics as in the 1934 list: cloth, tricot and gabardine.

The directive that the Tuch peaked cap was phased out in late 1935 is mentioned in Saris, and thanks to your liberation of the RZM circulars, I found the entry in the documents. You see them here and they say more or less that henceforth, as the Tuch caps are used up, the new items will be made of Trikot.

I have a textile fetish of long standing and through my family in the dry goods business, so these things interest me.

On the other site the notables there have problems with nouns, verbs, logic and reasoning above the fifth grade level (US) and so forth.

They are seized of "grommets" and "prongs" and their odd pecking order of command and obedience akin to the school yard and its bullies.

Also of lunatic check lists, especially from twenty four year old persons who speak in tongues from the foreman at the Deschler work shop or the shop steward at Ernst Rollerstrasse and Erelhaus.

?

The use and grading of cloth material used during the period is a constant source of interest and frustration to me!

For example and as you've mentioned, Tuch peaked caps were phased out in late 1935 in favour of Trikot which was used for NCO grade service caps which we are so familar with. Yet Trikot was the typical Officer grade material for items like Fieldcaps and Extramutzen for all branches of the TR. In other words, an Officer rank choice of material whether bought through the Kleiderkasse system or from a private vendor.

You then have extramutzen made from the most god awful hairy, wood pulp laden wool and cheescloth interiors. These are caps that were bought and not issued.

Allg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorAllg. SS tunic with early visorOr, to make it worse, here are two caps of the same date i.e. 1938-9, and they are both of different material.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast