Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal

Article about: by Frog As re: post #56, I remember this cap well. The fellow, BM, is still trading I believe, though I have not see much of interest lately. Thanks and it is a very nice cap, really. The pe

?

Default Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal

Here is a clean, crisp, minty A-SS general's visor. It belongs to a friend who is graciously sharing it with the forum. If it were on my shelf it would be my most cherished visor. All comments whether they be slings, arrows or even praise are welcome.

In hand the velvet is amazingly pristine. I have no idea what markings are on the metal insignia, they appear to never have been removed, the crimps do not pierce the inner lining and I dare not pull the lining back to inspect the prongs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal   Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal  

Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal   Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal
    P
    Many

Default Re: Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal

looks like a fabulous hat,,,super!

I am not a great fan about this interior, but possible !

A1 4 is Clemens Wagner.

Here are some images of an authentic cap shown elsewhere.

You cannot really make a final determination without having the thing under a glass, sniff test, taste test, feel of fabric pi pa po.

The Totenkopf badge looks odd somehow, but I am not really an expert on these.

This is so attached here is not my property.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal  
    Attached Images Attached Images Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal 

One signature trait of later species Wagner caps is their flimsy sweat shields. The key to this piece is a close comparison with other Wagner caps of its era, for instance, this one here:

Of course, these images are all flawed to a lesser or greater extent and there are a host of imponderables that neither can be captured in words nor rendered in electric images to allow a coup d' oeil in all cases.

I guess that I also have some odd feeling about the RZM/SS stamp on the peak.

But such a cap did well have the black silk or rayon lining, that is certain.

If you really want to buy a nice black officer's cap, the one on the Empire site is quite nice.

Not all were the Sonderanfertigung make.

?

The elongated RZM stamp on the visor is indeed odd. Else, it is hard to fault the thing on these pictures.

?

Here is another shot of the RZM stamp, it appears to have been overinked and slid during application. Also another shot of the scull with different light and lens. And a 3/4 profile.

The photographer needs to invest in a macro lens.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal   Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal  

Allgemeine General's Visor for perusal  

Quote by Frog View Post
    The elongated RZM stamp on the visor is indeed odd. Else, it is hard to fault the thing on these pictures.
    The fakes do not get the stamp right. Correct stamps vary greatly in quality, but they adhere to a range of the normal.

I cannot really tell 100% from the images, as this fun house hall of mirrors constituted of these images poses often more questions than it answers.

Mr. Tricot has a legitimate wish for such a cap. The one I posted, which is a 1935ish Mueller, is beyond a doubt authentic as the images bespeak.

The real exam is to take the general's cap and put it next to three or so other Wagners and then you can actually figure it out. It is also true that Wagner sub contracted its wares, so I do not want to suggest that there is one, single method or style. There is not.

Happy head wear.

Truth be said, I am taking less joy in all of this nowadays.

Quote by Tricot View Post
    Here is another shot of the RZM stamp, it appears to have been overinked and slid during application. Also another shot of the scull with different light and lens. And a 3/4 profile.

The photographer needs to invest in a macro lens.

Here the insignia looks less 2 dimensional. The stamp could well be alright. I won't say why, either, since I am entitled to my wizard's lexicon. There are also things you want to examine in the textiles, i.e. the Samt cap band and also the cap cover, and I won't say what they are, either. I shall send you a non public note in this connection.

Happy foetid woolens.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Here the insignia looks less 2 dimensional. The stamp could well be alright. I won't say why, either, since I am entitled to my wizard's lexicon. There are also things you want to examine in the textiles, i.e. the Samt cap band and also the cap cover, and I won't say what they are, either. I shall send you a non public note in this connection.

Happy foetid woolens.
    Photography is a crafty art at best. This particular hat has been in the hands of a trustworthy soul and given the thumbs up. Not only does the velvet and wool have the correct look in-hand, they also have that unmistakable feel 70 year old cloth.

This intrepid discoverer would welcome any input to help navigate the forest of mirrors.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast