Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic

Article about: Hello, I was wondering if anyone could please shed some light on these stamps. This is a field grey Allgemeine SS tunic. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, George

dukhunter
    ?

Default Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could please shed some light on these stamps. This is a field grey Allgemeine SS tunic. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    George
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic

54 is a size marking common in the German speaking world then and now.

I do not know what is the meaning of "3"

German male clothing comes in a variety of normal sizes, i.e. 46, 48, 50, 52, 54 et cetera as well as sizes for tall, short, portly which are numbered differently.

Uniforms generally had more specific size markings, for sleeves, overall length etc

dukhunter
    ?

Thank you F-B. I'm at a bit of a loss myself as to the 3 as well as the 54. I figured if anyone would know, it might be you or perhaps Mr. Coleman. Is this a stamp consistent with the period on A-SS tunic?

Thank you,
    George

The things are sometimes marked in this manner (see first enclosure) or in the military manner as indicated ( 2d image) herewith. The 2d image reflects the more commonly seen set of measurements needed for a well fitting uniform.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic  
    Attached Images Attached Images Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic 

dukhunter
    ?

Here is a little more to chew on regarding this tunic.

Thank you,
    George

dukhunter
    ?

Hi F-B,

I am familiar with the VA stamp but not with the first one you posted. Thank you very much for sharing them.

May I ask please, have you ever seen the type/style of stamp that I posted on an Allegemeine tunic? I've not but that doesn't mean much.

Thank you,
    George

The first stamp is a VA stamp in an early uniform with a size marking "48". It is pictured here. I also own a uniform so marked, but it is also black. I do not have an image of my own piece with this kind of stamp, and I have seen these regular (i.e. civilian) size markings in all kinds of NSDAP and branch uniforms.

Of course, I also believe there to exist very cunning fake grey and black uniforms, which require singular care to determine.

I was just in Berlin and Vienna and I wonder whether I passed someone on the street or somewhere who once made these or stamped them, or who knew someone who did. Likely not. These places are so changed and transformed....

dukhunter
    ?

Like most collectors, I'm always skeptical of SS tunics, however, between W-SS and A-SS, I'm more inclined to accept an A-SS as authentic vs. a W-SS. I guess it is my A-SS prejudice. I do like those early years of TR when all were dressed in their A-SS regalia.

Thanks,
    George

dukhunter
    ?

Hi F-B,

I did want to comment, you have fantastic collection and a great deal of knowledge regarding the Third Reich plus you have a wonderful way with the English language! Truly enjoy reading your posts!

Thanks,
    G

Quote by dukhunter View Post
    Hi F-B,

I did want to comment, you have fantastic collection and a great deal of knowledge regarding the Third Reich plus you have a wonderful way with the English language! Truly enjoy reading your posts!

Thanks,
    G
    Thanks for the kind words. I might have left a mis impression about my own collection, as much of what I post are images from others. Some of the stuff is indeed mine, but I am a ceaseless down loader of images from others. Without our other colleagues here, we would be lost, though, so thanks is due to them, too.

I think one has also to treat what you call "Allgemeine SS" uniforms with some caution too. Authentic SS uniforms are very rare, be they of whatever branch of the SS in its complexity.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast