Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Allgemeine-SS Officer Overseas in Wear

Article about: This is a photo taken at Dachau. It shows the officer version which is identical to the enlisted version with the addition of aluminum piping. Bob Hritz

Default Allgemeine-SS Officer Overseas in Wear

This is a photo taken at Dachau. It shows the officer version which is identical to the enlisted version with the addition of aluminum piping.

Bob Hritz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine-SS Officer Overseas in Wear  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine-SS Officer Overseas in Wear
    P
    Many

Default Re: Allgemeine-SS Officer Overseas in Wear

Thank you for this nice image. At the risk of being a pedant of the worst kind, this image is of officers of the SS Toenkofpverbaende ca. 1936/7 or so. The Gesamt SS increasingly was referred to by its branches, i.e. Allgemeine SS, SSVT and Wachverbaende in the latter course of 1934, and, if I am correct, the term Totenkopfverbaende came into use in about 1936.

D'alquen can tell us when the SS guard units at the camps were organizationally freed from the Oberabschnitt/Abschnitt table of organization and command structure.

I do not have the Organigramme image from the Organisationsbuch d. NSDAP ca 1936 or 1937 at hand, but it makes this distinction clearly.

In any case, aside from my pedantic point, the images of the caps are impressive. Someone (the man in Bavaria with the remarkable pictures) posted an album of this man here, wherein the images are to be seen with the cap with the piping.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine-SS Officer Overseas in Wear  

The collector's name is Robert Noss, I think. The name of the SS man above is lost in the reaches of time. Here is an image of Eicke in such a cap, too.

Here is a cuff title not unlike that worn by the young man in the post 2 above.

All the photographs I have seen of this practice of adding silver piping to the second pattern field cap have shown men from Oberbayern. That's not to say that others units didn't, but being situated next the clothing works at Dachau would have certainly made it easier for them to effect this modification.
    D

Hi D, that is a very interesting observation. Thanks for sharing it with us.

It certainly makes it a very attractive looking cap.

Cheers, Ade.

Dick
    ?

The office wearing the cape is Theodor Eicke. I'd love to aquire cape and photo for my collection.

Dick
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    The collector's name is Robert Noss, I think. The name of the SS man above is lost in the reaches of time. Here is an image of Eicke in such a cap, too.
    I just noticed that Gen. Eicke may also have spurs on his boots, can that be confirmed via a close up pic?

Hi Dick, and welcome to the forum.

If you double click on the pic concerned it will enlarge and if the format is big enough, sometimes the magnifying glass icon will appear and you can zoom in a little more. I just tried this on the pic you mentioned, and Eicke does indeed wear spurs in this photograph.

Cheers, Ade.

Dick
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Dick, and welcome to the forum.

If you double click on the pic concerned it will enlarge and if the format is big enough, sometimes the magnifying glass icon will appear and you can zoom in a little more. I just tried this on the pic you mentioned, and Eicke does indeed wear spurs in this photograph.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade, I didn't know if my imagination was getting to me, or my eye sight. Sure would like to have that orig. photo.