Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Allgemeine SS Visor Cap

Article about: This is another piece that belongs to the owner of the GRENZ - POLIZEI set...

Default Re: Allgemeine SS Visor Cap

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    'Pierced prongs'? Huzzah! Another example for the maroon experts to gnaw their knuckes over.
    Well said. Said site is doing very poorly with black SS regalia at the moment.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine SS Visor Cap
    P
    Many

Thank you FB, your close-up pictures illustrate the texture very nicely. Today the genuine, natural material (leather) is viewed most favorably and synthetics as merely a cheap alternative, but the development of synthetic materials was once seen as exciting and modern. Nylon, for example, emerged during the war and people had a very positive view of such modern materials.
    I certainly agree that its one of the best visors I have seen. regards, paul

Allgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapThe RZM directives make clear that as of 1936 at the latest, (....and surely before...) either leather or ersatz sweatbands could be used. Ersatz materials emerged in force in the First World War, and were quite common then and thereafter.

The cap here is a Sonderanfertigung, a nicer model of cap. The leather sweat band in the ones I own (I have a few of the nornal officer's cap as Sonderanfertigung) are of high quality, but one of the earlier Muellers I also own, has an Ersatz sweatband.....

Much of what certain collectors to be true is merely an anachronistic projection of insufficient knowledge onto the past with little cognizance of the record in the document and the record in the objects themselves....

pretty silly.

Greetings.
    Please accept my apologies for my deductive reasoning that is certainly faulty in this circumstance. My being a novice in this field is my only excuse. I was interested in the sweatband issue as a later Mueller visor is advertised as containing the Alkor sweatband. I was pondering why a high quality hat maker might use lower quality materials.. that is, if synthetics (Alkor or Ersatz) were not universally used by other hat makers. could it be possible that Alkor was not considered lower quality? I shall not to distract from the issue at hand in future. The hat i was considering will be shown below. cheers
    paul

This is the sweatband I was curious about
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS Visor Cap  

?

WOW! can't pick that apart, the best i ever saw .. top of the line,, great history

Quote by backtothefront View Post
    This is the sweatband I was curious about
    A wholly real and nice cap that I thought of buying, actually. My very first black SS cap more than forty years ago was more or less the same as this, with the Ersatz band.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-18-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Allgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor CapAllgemeine SS Visor Cap
    Quote by backtothefront View Post
    Greetings.
    Please accept my apologies for my deductive reasoning that is certainly faulty in this circumstance. My being a novice in this field is my only excuse. I was interested in the sweatband issue as a later Mueller visor is advertised as containing the Alkor sweatband. I was pondering why a high quality hat maker might use lower quality materials.. that is, if synthetics (Alkor or Ersatz) were not universally used by other hat makers. could it be possible that Alkor was not considered lower quality? I shall not to distract from the issue at hand in future. The hat i was considering will be shown below. cheers
    paul
    There is no reason to apologize and my nasty comment was directed at others, and not at you, of course. I think, actually, that nearly all the hat makers used synthetics in one way or the other. Remember, then, that many caps we see are Extramuetzen, i.e. dressy objects of wear and others are issued, 08/15 thingies, ordinary.

Ersatz materials were glorified by the regime as a sign of German high tech progress and thumbing one's nose at the world economy via autarky.

We may not like Alkor, but I am not sure what the people at the time thought.

MB Tex in a Mercedes is a superior product, which I nonetheless avoid when I can....
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-18-2013 at 07:35 PM.

I agree, Erstzmaterial is not much beloved but was tech progress from this time.
    The Tiger or Panther tank blue prints are still disclosed and secret as still now certain technique is used in our days.
    MB ja ja all nice stuff, McLaren racing included. I am still astonished when I see certain engine heads or blocks at certain customers.
    My visit at BMW in Steyer left my eyes open for the 6cly heads. High-tech pure, or like RUF Porsche. Holymacro I can say.
    End of Feb I am back at GM, in DET one GM person chilled trough the speaker the new Corvette is the best on mother earth.
    I have seen the 5 and 6.3l engines but there is much to compare what you nicely and reliable you get out from like a 3l engine as an example.

Those caps are the creme de la creme, thanks for sharing. What a great forum this is here.

Thank you, Robert. A technical perspective is helpful.
    Can you send me an email at some point? I have a technical question about the Mercedes OM 642 motor which I cannot get answered hereabouts, because the people here are dunderheads.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast