Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?

Article about: Hi! I know next to nothing regarding Axis militaria, and am wondering if anyone can tell me if my Italian SS insignia is authentic the WW2 period. From the few examples that I've seen, they

Default Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?

Hi!

I know next to nothing regarding Axis militaria, and am wondering if anyone can tell me if my Italian SS insignia is authentic the WW2 period. From the few examples that I've seen, they had tabs instead of the pin (replacement?), and proofmarks of 800 instead of 925, so I don't know what to think of this one.

Thank you for your time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?

hi , i belive this eagle to be a copy , i have never seen an italian ss cap eagle with a 925 hallmark , although i think it is an italian silver hallmark . any proven and accepted originals that i have encountered have been devoid of any markings or hallmarks. originals had two thin flat prongs to fix it to the cap and not a pin. i have encountered some over the years with 800/900 markings ,but were copies. one of our resident ss experts should be able to give a definite opinion on this one ....cheers paul

Default Re: Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?

It's a cast fake. These were only ever manufactured in Germany in 800 pure silver. They were pressed out the same as SS Totenkopfs were, with, as already pointed out, flat prongs.

Here are some pic's of a genuine one for comparison.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?  Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?  Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?  Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ? 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    These were only ever manufactured in Germany in 800 pure silver. They were pressed out the same as SS Totenkopfs were, with, as already pointed out, flat prongs.

Here are some pic's of a genuine one for comparison.

Regards, Ned.
    Just stumbled upon this old thread , and for future reference :
    this info plus the pictured cap-eagle are false too - I would advice NOT to take the " Germania International " site as a reference on these ( or on anything , for that matter ) ..

I will take the liberty of showing this original set from mr. Bob Hritz ;
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?  

reverse ..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?  

One more , from John Telesmanich . I think the material is referred to as " Zamac " .

Here's one I just picked up for reference.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?   Authentic SS Italian Volunteer Insignia ?