Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Authenticity of SS Officer Collar Tabs

Article about: I wanted to begin by thanking those members who continue to provide a wealth of information within the area of their expertise. This is invaluable to a very new member of the militaria colle

?

Default Authenticity of SS Officer Collar Tabs

I wanted to begin by thanking those members who continue to provide a wealth of information within the area of their expertise. This is invaluable to a very new member of the militaria collecting community such as myself and it is greatly appreciated. This is my first post on this (or any) forum and I hope that in the future, after significant further study, I can comment with some authority as to the historical significance and authenticity of these treasures we all find such interest in.

I will post some pictures of the treasures (all two of them) that I have started my collection with soon. In the meantime, I wondered if someone with more experience and knowledge could check my work, as it were, on the following collar tabs. I believe them to be genuine as best I can surmise from the literature I have read and the posts on this forum. The piping looks good, though on the runic tab the attachment is a bit of a departure from what I have observed. Any comments/edification would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authenticity of SS Officer Collar Tabs  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authenticity of SS Officer Collar Tabs
    P
    Many

Default Re: Authenticity of SS Officer Collar Tabs

I was reviewing old posts and as I also like the look of these tabs , I am confused that they did not generate a response at the time?

I would agree with the writer that the runes shown are quite hard to identify as genuine, when compared with the later woven and flat wire types or the more squat embroidered variety.

Are these tabs if fact correct and if so is it just the quality of workmanship that is used to determine originality in this case?

Any information would be appreciated.

If they are fake it´s a very good job done. I can´t tell if they are good or bad but I like the look of them

?

It has been a little over a year since I began studying the techniques used in the manufacture of items like the ones posted above. I have expanded my knowledge base considerably in that time largely due to the teachings of members of this very forum. Their suggestion in readings and posting of genuine materials that enable the collector to truly appreciate these little pieces of history is what sets this site above the others, not only in content, but in courtesy as well.

It is a long road to travel and I have taken but a few steps. I am certain the above pair of insignia are genuine but still lack the experience to answer my own initial question. I feel the reason no reply was given initially is that members just do not want to encourage another new member to get in the habit of posting "Fake or Real?" threads. I hope it remains so, the hunt for knowledge is so much more enjoyable than just having the answers dispensed.

Best regards and good studying to all,

CMH

Original.

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    It has been a little over a year since I began studying the techniques used in the manufacture of items like the ones posted above. I have expanded my knowledge base considerably in that time largely due to the teachings of members of this very forum. Their suggestion in readings and posting of genuine materials that enable the collector to truly appreciate these little pieces of history is what sets this site above the others, not only in content, but in courtesy as well.

It is a long road to travel and I have taken but a few steps. I am certain the above pair of insignia are genuine but still lack the experience to answer my own initial question. I feel the reason no reply was given initially is that members just do not want to encourage another new member to get in the habit of posting "Fake or Real?" threads. I hope it remains so, the hunt for knowledge is so much more enjoyable than just having the answers dispensed.

Best regards and good studying to all,

CMH
    I think they are real, too, but the key with the alu embroidery is constant examination of real pieces via the human senses in their totality. The pictures here give an incomplete picture. This is brutal for the beginner, as we have noted a million times, but no less true. Dr. CMH should send me a pm in this connection for further consultation. happy alu Gespinst.Authenticity of SS Officer Collar TabsAuthenticity of SS Officer Collar TabsAuthenticity of SS Officer Collar TabsAuthenticity of SS Officer Collar Tabs

Many thanks for the reply.I agree that it is good to take the time out to study original items and there are some collar insignia that I do not have a problem with, hence the terms of my initial reply.
    However, I do have a problem with this type of wire insignia and I am sure that I am not alone here, so it would have been great to see a reply when this matter was first posted.
    Whilst it is great to set aside time to read the forum posts and get more involved in the hobby, I have found that due to other family commitments etc, I actually see less of my friends who also collect and I have not been to an militaria fair for some time.
    I honestly think that I am currenty collecting in a bit of a vacuum sometimes.
    Also, I have found that learning about insignia is not linear,it is not a straight line, and will be dependant on different factors not least the never ending line of fakes that abound and seem to improve a little bit each time.

Our learning is hardly linear. Very well put and insightful generalization. Your intervention contains much wisdom as concerns our general frustration with the brave new world of Nazi regalia collecting in the year 2011. In years past, it was simpler, really, not the least because there was more authentic material. Embroidered SS regalia has always been problematic, though.Authenticity of SS Officer Collar TabsAuthenticity of SS Officer Collar TabsAuthenticity of SS Officer Collar TabsAuthenticity of SS Officer Collar TabsAuthenticity of SS Officer Collar TabsAuthenticity of SS Officer Collar TabsAuthenticity of SS Officer Collar TabsAuthenticity of SS Officer Collar TabsAuthenticity of SS Officer Collar Tabs