Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Black Light Test

Article about: When checking to see if an armband is real or fake, what does the "black light test" show?

Default Black Light Test

When checking to see if an armband is real or fake, what does the "black light test" show?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black Light Test
    P
    Many

Default Re: Black Light Test

Modern fabrics have a brightener added that will glow under the black light. The best comparison is to sheck the item against a white T shirt as that will give you an example to compare against. If an old piece is laundered with modern cleaners, it will also glow. May I suggest that you post the piece for discussion. We have a lot of experienced collectors here.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for the info. The SS armband that I purchased for my father (a WWII vet) hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I'll post some pics. I did a lot of research on this forum under "SS armband" to view the "fakes" from the real ones, and it helped me out a lot. Are there any other physical tests, other than sight, that can be done? I heard something about burning a few loose threads for a "flash test", but I don't know what that is.

Yes, the burn test is done with a loose thread. If it is made with modern fibers it will roll up into a little ball or something of that nature. If it is made of old fibers it will burn to ash and you will have nothing left. Just make sure you have that piece of thread off of the item and far away as you do it. I almost set off an SS armband the other day .

Jeff

That's interesting to know. Thanks.

I used Weltool M2-BF UV 365nm Flashlight to find something non visible. Names, blood...
    Quick test with Soviet helmet (P-1948). The non-luminous 2 linerpads are probably wartime. Name "Lott" is written there in the 90's and is difficult to read.

More about testing the UV-flashlights: We tested the best UV flashlights of 2021! | 1Lumen reviews

Black Light Test Black Light Test