Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

black SS caps in the firmament

Article about: The Mona Lisa smile of the racial elite.

Default Re: black SS caps in the firmament

I'm in training to become a historian, at the university, as we speak. Some of my courses consist of a classroom with 100+ students in which I find I must teach myself most of the information, not saying there is anything wrong with that. Another course I am taking has half a dozen students. The second course is nothing like the first. The teacher only speaks half the time, and it is mostly spent directing the discussion among the students, who speak for the other half of the class time. So there are still classes out there with the face to face teaching style, but usually they are the in depth specialized courses. The second course I mentioned is an example, The process of History in Travel Narratives.

Corey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement black SS caps in the firmament
    P
    Many

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    I'm in training to become a historian, at the university, as we speak. Some of my courses consist of a classroom with 100+ students in which I find I must teach myself most of the information, not saying there is anything wrong with that. Another course I am taking has half a dozen students. The second course is nothing like the first. The teacher only speaks half the time, and it is mostly spent directing the discussion among the students, who speak for the other half of the class time. So there are still classes out there with the face to face teaching style, but usually they are the in depth specialized courses. The second course I mentioned is an example, The process of History in Travel Narratives.

Corey
    Bravo. I teach the latter type, and it is a pleasure, although always subject to going off the rails.
    Thanks for the intervention and good luck with your studies.

My teaching passion lies with anthropology. History in amazing, of course, but I have an obsession with moral and cultural relevancy. It's a whole different game to try to understand why certain people and certain societies do the things they do. I hope to become a professor after a long and rewarding career in anthropology, if all goes well.

FB, could you share a photo of the uniform of the Hauptscharfuehrer in the Sta. 81? You must be tempted to pick up Mr. Shea's private purchase I/81 cap if you didn't have a cap to go with the uniform already. I can't imagine there being even a few unit marked examples that have survived.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    My teaching passion lies with anthropology. History in amazing, of course, but I have an obsession with moral and cultural relevancy. It's a whole different game to try to understand why certain people and certain societies do the things they do. I hope to become a professor after a long and rewarding career in anthropology, if all goes well.
    I took an anthropology class a few summers back, it is very similar, yet very different then history. The main differences lies with the approach to a certain subject. Whereas anthropology is concerned with the "why", history(21st Century) is concerned with the "when". The old historiography of the pre- mid 20th century was much different, and in some respects closer to anthropology and Philosophy then it is to historiography of the 21st century. This transformation has a lot to do with journalist and other non-experts writing history. I've never studied it in depth, this is just what I've noticed on the surface.

Corey

This thread has taken a welcome turn into thought and spirit, which I salute. Much good fortune to my young friends and their quest for knowledge.

black SS caps in the firmamentblack SS caps in the firmamentblack SS caps in the firmamentThis is the Montur when Darryl P owned it, complete with much other nice equipment, which I did not buy.....
    The Shea cap is nice, and I will let someone else have the joy of the thing. Of course, they have to fix the badge, but that's the norm.....

PS here is an additional picture of the Sta. 81 when a British dealer found it at the dawn of the digital age or well before. The uniform is not really integral, as I found when I got it. It is all real, and very nice, put it is put together from real parts. black SS caps in the firmament

The Montur had the belt of a Berliner SS man from an auto unit, but the Sta. 81 was a southwest German Standarte. The man who wore the belt was small in build; the tunic is large, a size 52, which is large for this kind of thing.

The owner had done a ton of research on this uniform in the 1970s and 1980s, all of which led to a dead end.

The photos with the Puppe are 20 years old or so and not mine at all.

The tunic is very nice, with early badges and well preserved with wear.

These things were somewhat more plentiful at the start of the new century, or not... I am unsure.

With these images, you can see why I might have been interested in the cap of Shea. Maybe I should buy it all the same.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 02-08-2013 at 03:11 AM.

black SS caps in the firmamentI did break down and buy a DRP black helmet, in fact, but not the one here in Darryl's things. He does not collect this stuff anymore. I got two nice uniforms from him. We are sorry he left the German regalia game, as he was a positive force.

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Some of my courses consist of a classroom with 100+ students in which I find I must teach myself most of the information, not saying there is anything wrong with that. Corey
    I feel your pain, Corey - I too have been "graced" with the task of teaching students in a similar fashion . . . even with an abundance of experience, I have found myself, once again, spending many hours re-learning [or is it "refreshing" myself in?] the technical aspects of my course, so that my instruction will come off informative and invigorating for my students. My teachings are not that of historical nature, rather that of a tradesman . . . but believe me - it takes a great deal of fortitude to stand in front of future craftsman, all who feel any technique worth learning can be only achieved by use of one's hands, and equally believe anything cerebral could only counted as wasted time. All that for no compensation as well. Thinking about this out loud, often makes me wonder why I acccepted the position . . . I really must be insane.

Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    I feel your pain, Corey - I too have been "graced" with the task of teaching students in a similar fashion . . . even with an abundance of experience, I have found myself spending many hours spent once again teaching [or is it "refreshing"?] myself in the technical aspects of my course, so that my instruction come off informative and invigorating for my students. My teachings are not of historical nature, rather that of a tradesman . . . but believe me - it takes a great deal of fortitude to stand in front of future craftsman, all who feel any technique worth learning can be only achieved by use of one's hands, and equally believe anything cerebral could only counted as wasted time. All that for no compensation as well. Thinking about this out loud, often makes me wonder why I acccepted the position . . . I really must be insane.
    I am sure you are a fine teacher and thanks for the intervention.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I am sure you are a fine teacher and thanks for the intervention.
    Without doubt, as you are as well. My Thanks to you equally.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast