Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff title

Article about: Greetings. I hope I am not drawing from the well of your generosity once too often here. However I hope these pictures may bring some interesting and healthy discussion. I'm aware that the c

Default Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff title

Greetings.
    I hope I am not drawing from the well of your generosity once too often here. However I hope these pictures may bring some interesting and healthy discussion.
    I'm aware that the coloured cuff titles should have been phased out around 1937. I'm wondering how long the Reserve cuff titles may have persisted.
    This tunic has several conflicting features (1940 buttons)... and some or all of the insignia might not be original to the tunic, which looks real to me.
    I would appreciate any of your considerations and input, knowing that certainty is going to be elusive.
    I am looking at an "entry-level" tunic and am considering 2 on the Weitze website and can post more photos if any feature needs closer scrutiny.
    Thanks, in advance for your time and assistance.
    Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff title   Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff title  

Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff title   Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff title  

Last edited by backtothefront; 08-25-2017 at 09:50 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff title
    P
    Many

?

The elements look original (although I'd like to see better pics of the cuff title- its a bit sloppy, but likely OK) but I think you're right on the mark assuming there's been some later assembly with 1940 dated buttons. So few of these survived intact that one must assume black tunics are restored unless there is strong evidence otherwise. This shouldn't deter you, just know what you are buying. If you want an untouched original, patience is the name of the game...

Thanks Arran...As you say, restored items are fine if that's all made clear, but I dont like the idea of a historic impossibility

These photos may show more detail of original and restored features
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff title   Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff title  

Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff title   Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff title  

The only thing I would examine carefully is the "Reserve 3" cuff title. I included some examples of others that diverge from this item.
    The tunic is otherwise authentic. I own two garments from the Koeln-Bonn Standarte. My blacks tunics are integral, in fact.
    This garment is the type in Wim's RZM specification. It is fine. The buttons are likely also of the epoch, too.
    These tunics were likely made through 1940, though the bulk of the extant examples of the later type (i.e. with this RZM tag etc.)
    are from the epoch 1937-1938-1939. I have to check the order of battle of the Sta. 58.
    The colored striped cuff titles are found on later tunics, though this style of cuff title was obsolete in 1940. It was supplanted
    in June 1937, but the old items were to be used up, as I have included in the RZM circular.
    As I observed before, we can cite the regulations and restate that they were not observed and so forth.Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff titleBlack SS tunic with Reserve cuff titleBlack SS tunic with Reserve cuff title

and...courtesy of "Ulrich of..." and Hassler, and the one tunic I sorely wanted, but it vanished.Black SS tunic with Reserve cuff titleBlack SS tunic with Reserve cuff titleBlack SS tunic with Reserve cuff titleBlack SS tunic with Reserve cuff title

the omnibus image is courtesy Delich.

there is always the statements "sorely wanted" and "vanishing" in this racket, of that you can be sure....

Once again... sincere thanks F.B. for your input. I had been scouring your posts and the contributions you've passed on from David Delich for similar cuff titles.
    Many post show the earlier silk lettering in a variety of scripts and some showing the bullion in a variety of scripts.... I thought this script is Gothic, but I'm probably confused by the naming of scripts by MS Word.
    I suspected that, of the insignia on this tunic, the cuff might be the "odd one out".
    Mollo (Vol 1) shows far fewer variations of the Reserve cuff title, but one shown in the colour plate is very close to this.
    However I have not seen the range in quality of fake materials of this type.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast