Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Black SS tunic twisted piping- direction of spiral

Article about: Greetings. For some time I have noticed that the direction of the piping twist on the black and white piping of collars and collar tabs on black SS tunics can vary between a right hand screw

Default Black SS tunic twisted piping- direction of spiral

Greetings. For some time I have noticed that the direction of the piping twist on the black and white piping of collars and collar tabs on black SS tunics can vary between a right hand screw and a left hand screw, as shown in the two attached photos. Other variations include the lead of the thread, that is, the length of single twist. I dont recall seeing the shoulder boards having any variation in the direction of the thread. Certainly the left hand thread as shown on the collar tab seems more common. Is this just random variation among manufacturers of the piping and no standardisation of this feature was prescribed by the SS?
    I think the runic tab is courtesy of the Craig Gottlieb website.
    Thanks for any observations or knowledge of this situation. Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black SS tunic twisted piping- direction of spiral   Black SS tunic twisted piping- direction of spiral  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black SS tunic twisted piping- direction of spiral
    P
    Many

?

I believe the piping on the collar that sports the runic tab is fake. The twist direction is random, not regulated, and you will also find shoulder boards that are twisted in either direction...

Thank-you Arran. Nice to know that some minor points in their supply contracts have escaped regulation by the SS.