Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Book- Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen SS - M Beaver

Article about: Just bought this book today! Lots of night time reading and study ahead Nick

Default Book- Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen SS - M Beaver

Just bought this book today!

Lots of night time reading and study ahead

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images Book- Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen SS - M Beaver 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Book- Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen SS - M Beaver
    P
    Many

Default Re: Book- Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen SS - M Beaver

Already have its excellent sister!

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Book- Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen SS - M Beaver  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

That looks interesting!.....

It will only make me want what I cant afford

Nick

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    It will only make me want what I cant afford
    Luckily, I don't collect SS items and never will, so I don't suffer from that effect as badly as you certainly will!

You see, I don't have those two titles, but I own Michael D. Beaver's three-volume work on Waffen-SS uniforms as well as its two other companion pieces on SS headgear and -steel helmets. (Both of which were completed, like the "artifacts & insignia" title, after his untimely death.)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Luckily, I don't collect SS items and never will, so I don't suffer from that effect as badly as you certainly will!

You see, I don't have those two titles, but I own Michael D. Beaver's three-volume work on Waffen-SS uniforms as well as its two other companion pieces on SS headgear and -steel helmets. (Both of which were completed, like the "artifacts & insignia" title, after his untimely death.)
    Andreas, how do do you find the three-volume work ?

Nick

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Andreas, how do do you find the three-volume work ?
    Massive and impressive.

Vol. 1 covers the black service uniform, the LSSAH's early field-grey uniform, the earth-grey service uniform and the field-grey field uniforms of the 1936 to 1941 years. Vol. 2 picks up with the field-grey field uniforms worn from 1942 to 1945, ski uniforms, overcoats, dress uniforms (to include "whites" and evening dress), tropical clothing, shirts and the various sports- and drill uniforms. Vol 3 has the tank- and assault gun crew uniforms, camouflage gear and the uniforms worn by the SD/Sipo, concentration camp personnel and female auxiliaries.

As one can tell from these contents, the books are not focused on those uniforms that were unique to the Waffen-SS proper and are thus of general interest.

All uniform items are depicted in detailed, large-scale color photographs complemented with a vast number of well-selected period photographs (mostly b&w, but some colour ones as well) showing the respective types of uniform items in wear. Print quality is excellent, and in terms of paper quality and binding, these handsome volumes leave nothing to be desired, either. (All of which is reflected in the books' price, obviously...)

It's not just the imagery, though: The accompanying text is well worth reading, too, as the author - much like Mollo before him - had made quite an effort to provide the reader with substantial background information taken from a wide range of period documentation such as orders, regulations, circulars, price lists and other SS paperwork, all identified/credited in the actual text and/or each chapter's footnotes.

(The headgear- and helmet volumes finished after Mr. Beaver's death leave much to be desired in this respect and are, essentially, coffee-table picture books, great-looking ones at that, but still... The headgear volume particularly suffers from the poor and often incorrect captions to the period photographs and could have done with some serious editorial work.)

Thank you for your synopsis Andreas, very useful

Nick

the Borsarello book was one of my earliest purchased ones from Schiffer.
    For sure a must though. Also in there my favorite summer light weight tunic I know of, I always wanted
    to own this one any day. Day never came ...

?

A good book. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of items from the Beaver camouflage book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast