Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brown or white shirt worn under Allegemeine-SS tunic?

Article about: I am attempting to complete my Allgemeine-SS tunic with the collared shirt worn underneath. Lumsden's book suggests that the brown shirt was worn until sometime in 1936 when the white was au

Default Brown or white shirt worn under Allegemeine-SS tunic?

I am attempting to complete my Allgemeine-SS tunic with the collared shirt worn underneath. Lumsden's book suggests that the brown shirt was worn until sometime in 1936 when the white was authorized for ceremonial occasions. It's unlikely that I will acquire an original shirt anytime soon, so I'd like to at least have something there - a place holder of sorts that would be accurate in color.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brown or white shirt worn under Allegemeine-SS tunic?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Brown or white shirt worn under Allegemeine-SS tunic?
    P
    Many

Either shirt is appropriate. The color of the shirt would depend on the uniform of the day. The brown shirt was worn as an every day short and the white shirt as a dress shirt.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Either shirt is appropriate. The color of the shirt would depend on the uniform of the day. The brown shirt was worn as an every day short and the white shirt as a dress shirt.
    Thank you, Bob.

Brown or white shirt worn under Allegemeine-SS tunic?Brown or white shirt worn under Allegemeine-SS tunic?Brown or white shirt worn under Allegemeine-SS tunic?Himmler and others resisted the white shirt as being too bourgeois and a betrayal of the movement, but Hitler insisted on it with more refined orders of dress
    and the ever more representational roles the SS was called upon to play.

It is not very easy to find the right shirt, but I have searched for them for forty years. There do exist pretty good reproductions, but I forget where they are made.
    It is my taste that the black tunic looks its very best with the brown shirt, but that is my tick.

Both are indeed reproduced which in my opinion would work perfectly for what you're trying to accomplish. Here's a lower quality brown example--which I prefer as well--for not that much. http://www.wehrmacht.es/en/ss-unifor...irt-brown.html
    Lovely example by the way...I'm sure you're already aware of this, but Standarte 35 HQ was located in Kassel. The following is a list of it's commanders:
    SS-Sturmbannführer Verne (Dec 1929 - 1 July 1932)
    SS-Standartenführer Hans Döring (1 July 1932 - 15 Sep 1933)
    SS-Sturmbannführer Walter Opländer (15 Sep 1933 - 1 June 1935)
    SS-Obersturmbannführer Paul Nostitz (1 June 1935 - 31 Dec 1936)
    SS-Obersturmbannführer Hermann Florstedt (1 Jan 1937 - 1 Jan 1943)
    SS-Obersturmbannführer Ernst-August Hintze (1 Jan 1943 - May 1945)

There is a superior reproduction brown shirt I have seen in my meanderings, which is more or less virtually identical to the real thing. I cannot recall where it is.
    I use the real thing, in fact, as I am too fussy. The real item is a pain to find, but they do turn up. A number of unused ones were found somewhere in the last ten years.

Brown or white shirt worn under Allegemeine-SS tunic?Brown or white shirt worn under Allegemeine-SS tunic?These are the shirts I mention, originals, with the detachable collar. One alternative is to use the HJ shirt, an original, which are not especially rare, and are authentic.

There were a variety of shirts, the most arcane and rare being the tricot shirt, i.e. a kind of sport shirt, but worn with the black tunic all the same.

There are, of course, shirts with the RZM VA SS mark, but I have never owned one of these in fifty odd years of collecting.

Thank you for the information, F-B. I am partial to the brown shirt as well.

?

Is this the correct device to attach the collar to the brown shirt ?

Brown or white shirt worn under Allegemeine-SS tunic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast